We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet another car parking question :)

WA
Level Contributor
382 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Yet another car parking question :)

I will be driving into SF from LA and wanted some advice on car parking while I am visiting SF (3 nights). I have read a lot of questions and answers on this forum so I have some idea of the suggestions made here.

Renting car one way seems to be an expensive option (3 times the cost of renting and dropping off at the same location).

If I am staying in the city, how about the option of parking in a lot near the airport (just like locals would do for an out of town trip) and then taking BART into the city? I didn't see this option being mentioned anywhere hence the question. Suggestions?

Edited: 03 June 2013, 22:38
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,669 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yet another car parking question :)

You read the TOP Questions on where to stay with a car and which places include car parking for free ? did you see the map in the TQs. And none of the hotels look good to you ?

Bart parking is an option but some people have had their cars broken into so buyer beware

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,605 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yet another car parking question :)

Personally, I'd go for a hotel that offers free parking (see the top questions as mentioned by belomiser) rather than going through the hassle/cost of long-term airport parking & BARTing into/out of the city at the beginning & end of your trip (not to mention the cost in your time).

Even if I decided I wanted to be more central, I'd probably bite the bullet and pay for parking. Not sure what the long-term airport parking costs are, but by the time you add them up (and the BART fare(s)), I think the savings would shrink to be a rather small portion of your total trip cost; plus there is the cost of your time. I guessing it will take an hour (minimal) to drop off the car & get into the city (and then another hour when you leave). Really probably more like 2 hours (or more) since I'm guessing you'll want to drop/pick up luggage at the hotel rather than lugging it on BART (which may also mean additional BART fares).

But that's me,

hlo

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Yet another car parking question :)

I struggled with this very question. We finally decided on a motel with free parking - woudn't have been my first choice but we didn't want to have to worry about the car! There are several motels on Lombard street. Also, some hotels offer parking for a fee, what I found ranged at about $20-35/day.

We have the car for 12 days, pick up at San Jose. Keeping if for the whole 12 days was cheaper then dropping it off in SF for our 4 day stay!

WA
Level Contributor
382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yet another car parking question :)

>>>You read the TOP Questions on where to stay with a car and which places include car parking for free ?

Yes, I did. I also looked at: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k628810…

Some of these hotels don't seem to have availability on the dates I am trying. And also I seem to be getting comparable deals at other better hotels (which have expensive parking). Booking one of the hotels on the list seems like a compromise in quality (I understand might have to since I want to avoid parking fees). But before I do I wanted to consider all possible options.

Also, I did look at http://sanfrancisco.bestparking.com/ and the rates seem ok but I just wanted to make sure I have all the info to make a call.

Regarding:

>>>Bart parking is an option but some people have had their cars broken into so buyer beware

Some airports have parking lots which have shuttle services from their location to the airport, I was referring to those kinds of parking lots. E.g. MasterPark. I have found those kinds of parking lots to be mostly safe in Seattle. Is the BART parking lot the same?

WA
Level Contributor
382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yet another car parking question :)

Thanks penny07, huntlawoffice, and belomiser for sharing your experience/recos.

I will be visiting SF with my parents and since this is my parents' first ever SF visit I wanted to give them a good experience (including quality of stay at a hotel). But looks like I will have to compromise somewhere.

Thanks again!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,316 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yet another car parking question :)

If you factor in the cost of paying for a off site airport lot, the hassle of transferring into the city with your luggage on BART.... I personally won't do it. How much is your time worth?

I say either compromise on quality and stay at a motorlodge or just bite the bullet and stay where you want and add the cost of parking into the rate of the hotel. You are here for such a limited time. It seems such a hassle to park at the airport.

sf
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Yet another car parking question :)

I park in BART/Samtrans lots everyday in Colma everyday and have never had a problem. I guess it depends on where the lots are located, some of the in the East Bay stations are in questionable ares. If you're stuck on this idea I'd go for Colma BART, and parking in either the BART structure or Sam Trans lot across the street, which cost $2/day plus the ticket $6.50.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,669 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yet another car parking question :)

SFNATIV. We are talking more about 3-20 days overnight parking compared to day parking

TO the OP there are hotels downtown with parking packages so without specifics and your shortlist and budget we are talking generalities here

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,707 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yet another car parking question :)

We have stayed in motels which include parking and hotels near Union Square which have pkg. pkgs. or added fees for parking. We have also stayed in hotels in other areas of the city like the Kabuki in Japantown where we have actually found street parking(they also have a parking lot for a fee).

jdvhotels.com/hotels/…hotel-kabuki

I wouldn't leave my car outside the city because I'd just be uncomfortable leaving it for any length of time far from my sight especially if it is a rental. You'll just have to decide which scenario is most comfortable for you.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yet another car parking question :)

Street parking.

Is very hard to come by for that amount of time as most of the city is subject to residential parking restrictions ... which means if you don't have the proper neighborhood sticker on your car you are limited to 2 hours (sometimes 3) during the day from Monday to Friday (Saturday in certain neighborhoods) ... so I would not recommend entertaining the idea of street parking.

BART stations for long term parking.

It's certainly reasonably priced ($5 or $6 per day depending on station). You need to reserve in advance however so read here: http://bart.gov/guide/parking/index.aspx We have heard about break-ins but I have not used the service nor known anyone personally who has.

Airport Parking

Usually runs ~$20/day and you will get a shuttle to the airport to get BART into the city for $8.25

For a special trip for your parents, I'd bite the bullet and pay the parking fee at your hotel. How does the ad go? ".... Priceless."