We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loaded Question.. Any advice appreciated!!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Topic
Loaded Question.. Any advice appreciated!!!

Hi all. So I have a very loaded question for anyone who wants to answer or give some advice. I've never been to California, and I'm going out to LA with my best friend (we are both 28 and single, fun-loving, social girls) to visit my sister for a week in July. Wanted to extend our trip by a few days and check out San Francisco. But never having been to the West coast, I have no clue where to start planning this. First off, we are planning to fly from LA and not renting a car. We are looking to stay 3 nights. So I have some questions that I would be so grateful if anyone could help.

1) What area in San Fran is central that we could get a hotel? Which area would be best for 2 gals our age?

2) Any hotel recommendations? Looking to keep it under 300 dollars a night.

3) Things to do? Lively neighbourhoods? Looking for good restaurants, bars, fun stuff, shops.

4) Things we must see? I would love to do the alcatraz tour)

5) Do we need a car or can we get around via streetcar/bus/walking?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,594 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loaded Question.. Any advice appreciated!!!

>> have no clue where to start planning<<

We do! On a regular computer (not a mobile device) go to the top questions on the SF forum page (top right side) and there are topics that discuss the answers to most of your questions, especially about where to stay.

As far as neighborhoods to explore, if you are more young professionals, try the Marina; more urban hipsters, the Mission; counterculture/neo-hippies, the Haight. (Gross over-simplification, of course, but not wholly inaccurate....)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,439 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loaded Question.. Any advice appreciated!!!

My opinions.

You will want to stay in the Union Square area, for restaurants, bars, and upscale shopping. It is also the public transportation hub so you will be able to explore interesting neighborhoods for all of the above.

You are wise not to have a car in the city.

Your budget should work for a nice hotel unless there are a lot of conventions in town when the beds are scarce. and the prices skyrocket.

If you will tell us the kind of hotel you prefer, we can make suggestions. For example do you want a modern full service hotel, an historic boutique hotel, etc.

Do read the Top Questions and come back with your specific questions.

Toronto
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Loaded Question.. Any advice appreciated!!!

Thanks, I am reading the top questions as we speak. Not really too picky on hotels. Just somewhere clean, central, maybe a younger crowd. Doesn't have to be a chain, not super expensive. Don't really care too much about the amenities since we will be out exploring most of the time :)

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,478 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loaded Question.. Any advice appreciated!!!

perhaps you can come back to us with more specific questions once you have had a good look at the Top Questions.

I also think Union Square to stay and here is more info on neighborhoods.

http://www.sfgate.com/neighborhoods/

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,594 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loaded Question.. Any advice appreciated!!!

>>maybe a younger crowd<<

The W, The Clift, Vitale... those are the ones that I associate with a younger crowd (they have trendy bars and restaurants in them). Boutique hotels might also work: the Triton and Diva are the two I most associate with a younger clientele. (Although people of all ages stay at most of our hotels... the only one I can think of to avoid would be the Huntington.. it's a lovely old-world hotel but I suspect would seem stuffy.)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,079 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loaded Question.. Any advice appreciated!!!

The Triton is young/hip. http://www.hoteltriton.com

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,157 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loaded Question.. Any advice appreciated!!!

Union Square would be "kind of" equivalent to downtown TO. Very central...downtown shopping, restaurants and clubs. It would work well for you.

The Marina district would be great for you as well. KInd of like the Beaches, but with more / better restaurants and shopping. More upscale....

There is a great bar scene in San Francisco. Check out this article:

…nytimes.com/2013/…

Add to the list, the Tonga Room at the Fairmont. It has to be seen to be believed...

8. Re: Loaded Question.. Any advice appreciated!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 05:16