Hi all. So I have a very loaded question for anyone who wants to answer or give some advice. I've never been to California, and I'm going out to LA with my best friend (we are both 28 and single, fun-loving, social girls) to visit my sister for a week in July. Wanted to extend our trip by a few days and check out San Francisco. But never having been to the West coast, I have no clue where to start planning this. First off, we are planning to fly from LA and not renting a car. We are looking to stay 3 nights. So I have some questions that I would be so grateful if anyone could help.
1) What area in San Fran is central that we could get a hotel? Which area would be best for 2 gals our age?
2) Any hotel recommendations? Looking to keep it under 300 dollars a night.
3) Things to do? Lively neighbourhoods? Looking for good restaurants, bars, fun stuff, shops.
4) Things we must see? I would love to do the alcatraz tour)
5) Do we need a car or can we get around via streetcar/bus/walking?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!!