We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Carlton - Lower Nob Hill OR Petite Auberge - Nob...

New Jersey
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel Carlton - Lower Nob Hill OR Petite Auberge - Nob...

Hi All...

My husband and I are coming to Cali for 14 days for our honeymoon in Aug. We will be staying in SF for 4 days/5 nights. I have searched online and both of these hotels look great. Any info on which is better?? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Carlton - Lower Nob Hill OR Petite Auberge - Nob...

Have not stayed at either. I know the location of the Carlton...I drive buy it frequently. it is not exactly "lower Nob Hill", but is quite a hike from Union Square (a flat hike, however) and is in a not very interesting neighborhood, like, near restaurants, etc.

If it makes a difference, AAA gives Petite Auberge three diamonds, while the Carlton is not listed. It also has free full breakfast and "complimentary evening beverages." According to my SF map, it is only two blocks or so from Union Square....and is not "exactly" Nob Hill. It would be my choice. Have you checked for reviews of the two hotels? Go to hotelres.com (a discounter for SF and Silicon Valley) and check for "packages" on the two hotels. Petite Auberge advertises that they have them. Then you can compare rates. But be careful. hotelres.com does not charge you up front unless you take one of their "special rates", so read the fine print. Otherwise you deal with the hotel and follow THEIR cancellation policies and pay them when you check out.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Carlton - Lower Nob Hill OR Petite Auberge - Nob...

Thanks...

From the posts both hotels look good... Is the Petite Auberge close to the red light district?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Carlton - Lower Nob Hill OR Petite Auberge - Nob...

No way near the "red light" district. I assume you mean what we call the "Tenderloin". Trust me, Bush Street where the Petite Auberge is located is way north of the 'Tenderloin' and closer to Union Square, where the shopping and good restaurants reside. The Carlton may look good and have great rates, but it is in, like, nowhere, location wise.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Carlton - Lower Nob Hill OR Petite Auberge - Nob...

Puter...

Thanks again for your input... I booked Petite Auberge tonight and got a rate of $101 for 3 of the 5 nights... Sounds like a steal to me!! Any suggestions of places to stay on the way down the PCH to LA?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Carlton - Lower Nob Hill OR Petite Auberge - Nob...

Wow, you got a great rate for Petite Auberge.

Let us know where you want to stop on the way down the coast and somebody here can help you.

Please report back on your experience with Petite Auberge....

New Jersey
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Carlton - Lower Nob Hill OR Petite Auberge - Nob...

Hi Puter...

I was thinking...

Day 1: Arrive late (11pm) in SF...

Day2-5: SF

Day 6: Carmel/Monterey (Any suggestions for a place to stay that is reasonable and comfy... around $100)

Day 7: San Simeon (Any suggestions here?_

Day 8: Hearst Castle to Santa Barbara (Stay in SB... Suggestions?)

Day 9-11: Stay with family in Laguna Hills

Day 12: LAX (early morning flight next morning)

What do you think of our stops on the coast? Should we pick other places to stay?

Thanks again for all of your input!!!

memsteacher

usa
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Carlton - Lower Nob Hill OR Petite Auberge - Nob...

stayed at the petite auberge 20 years ago for my honeymoon. we have since compared all our hotel and B&B stays to the service, decor, breakfasts and other amenities that the post family put into this property. unfortunately, they sold it and we have not been back to see if the experience is the same. however, they do still run the cobblestone inn in carmel and 2 others in nearby pacific grove. they are all romantic and relaxing....don't forget to buy a bear...i have 20 years worth of them!

8. Re: Hotel Carlton - Lower Nob Hill OR Petite Auberge - Nob...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 13:21