We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a great deli....

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
a great deli....

What is the best deli for a great pastrami?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,369 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a great deli....

Best ? where in SF ? Best is so subjective and SF is not NY and a huge Deli town -- yes we have sandwiches and there are great sandwiches at Ike's place and Wise Sons Deli so if that is what you want, please look at either of those places

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a great deli....

Since my original post, I have seen Molinari's on the Travel Channel. I realize SF in not NY, just love

pastrami and thought I'd get some good suggestions. Can anyone recommend Molinari's, or any

others?

Thanks for the suggestions of Ike's Place and Wise Sons -- will check them out online.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,369 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a great deli....

Molinari's is an Italian deli where we go to to have Coppa or Prosciutto or Mortadella or the other cured meat sandwiches. they are a North beach institution and they are very good but I have not eaten the Pastrami there. But I am sure it is good. When I think pastrami, i think of a good jewish deli and Wise sons is it.

There is Deli Board as well which is good

When you say recommend others, are you just going to be eating Pastrami in SF. I am sure others will chime in but have you tried www.yelp.com and typed in pastrami sandwiches. You can get a lot more people's feedback there and all the pastrami sandwich shops in our city.

Edited: 04 June 2013, 15:51
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a great deli....

You want an Italian or Jewish deli?

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a great deli....

As I have stated, I am looking for a good pastrami sandwich. I know about Yelp, etc.

but I am a big fan of TA so I thought I'd see what was suggested here.

Thanks for your help.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a great deli....

I haven't been to Wise (because I don't particularly care for the Mission) but Miller's on Polk is good.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a great deli....

Wise Sons or Deli Board or Moishe's Pippic.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a great deli....

For ambiance and a fun time.....Tommy's Joynt

For taste and East coast flavor....Moishes Pippic

Moishe's is closest to the best in NY, Katz's Deli

Dr. Z

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: a great deli....

I'll add another vote for Wise Sons, but be prepared for waiting in line to get in or order, especially if you go on a weekend or at busy time. The amount of seating to dine in is fairly limited, but the food is good. I think we were in line for 50 minutes starting around 11 am on a Saturday. By the time we got our food (to go) it had been closer to 60 or 70 minutes total.

If you don't have a lot of time in town and aren't picky about what style of deli you'regoing to, I'd probably go to the Italian deli in north beach since its likely to be less out of the way depending on your activities and also less of a wait.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: a great deli....

Wise Sons. I haven't been yet, but I've heard good things about Shorty Goldstein's too.

"Moishe's is closest to the best in NY, Katz's Deli" No longer true, Dr. Z! Try Wise Sons the next time you are in town.

Edited: 04 June 2013, 17:41