We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco & outlying area

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hampshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco & outlying area

We have a week that we can spend in San Francisco and the surrounding area before we go to Yosemite and then head South towards LA. Are we better to spend say 4 nights in SF then go North somewhere for 3 nights or does it make sense to rent a place in SF for a week and do day trips out? Clearly if we are going to drive out we will need to deal with having a car in SF for part of the week. Appreciate your views. Thanks.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco & outlying area

Stay in SF sans car and rent one and stay say along the North Coast or Mendocino or Napa and Sonoma valleys or Lake Tahoe or Gold Country

I presume you are doing Monterey after Yosemite

Hampshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco & outlying area

Yes, we shall come back to Carmel etc then head South. We will be in California during October which I'm guessing could be a good time for wine country?!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco & outlying area

For me it would depend on exactly where I was wanting to go & what I wanted to do. If it was a Wine Country trip or something similar that you could drive to & back easily (relatively quickly), then I'd probably stay based in SF and try to rent the car for just the day I was going to be out of town (some places downtown have after hours drop offs, or so we've heard). If on the other hand it's farther away to where I'd have to leave really early and/or get back really late in order to make it a day trip, I'd be more tempted to make it more leisurely and overnight. Similarly if it was something that I wanted to spend a good deal of time doing (and not feel rushed) and/or wanted the flexibility of staying longer if I wanted to, then that's a point for making it an overnight.

I guess for me it's really a question of exactly what you want to do "up north;" how close it is, how long it will take to do, how flexible you want to be, etc.

Regardless, I doubt I would rent the car for anything other then the period I would be on the road (and maybe the night before or after for the convenience of an early departure or late return).

That's my $.02,

hlo

4. Re: San Francisco & outlying area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2014, 06:19