We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kosher Dining in San Francisco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
13 posts
Save Topic
Kosher Dining in San Francisco

Hiya,

Me and my husband are stopping in San Francisco during our honeymoon trip and i wanted to know what area was best to stay in for kosher dining?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,355 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kosher Dining in San Francisco

…cbslocal.com/2012/…

www.adathisraelsf.org/index.php…

We don't have one area which has kosher restaurants so you can stay where visitors stay -- perhaps Union Square and take MUNI to the restaurants. I see your post in the LA forum. Unlike the LA area which is huge, SF is just 7x7 square miles with MUNI connecting all the areas so you should be ok getting around town.

There are veg restaurants around town as well if that is ok with you.

Edited: 06 June 2013, 18:00
London, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kosher Dining in San Francisco

Thank you - So if we were to stay somewhere quite central like union square we could easily get to kosher dining?

What is MUNI?

Also would Union square be quite central to do the tourist attractions - Golden Gate Bridge, Alkaraz?

....and nightlight? Bars? Clubs?

Many Thanks for your response :)

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kosher Dining in San Francisco

Union Square is probably the most central location for you in terms of shopping, entertainment, and ease to get to the sights. There are really only two kosher restaurants in SF, and Sabra is the closest to Union Square, just past the Chinatown Gate in Chinatown. It apparently isn't very good though...I did a quick google search and this article may be helpful- looks like 12 tribes would be able to deliver meals to your hotel.

yeahthatskosher.com/2012/…

London, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kosher Dining in San Francisco

Thank you!!! :)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,748 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kosher Dining in San Francisco

You might also be able to eat in a vegetarian restaurant like Green's. It is quite good!

http://www.greensrestaurant.com/

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kosher Dining in San Francisco

Muni is our version of "TfL." Have a read through our Top Questions for a lot of transit information if you need it.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kosher Dining in San Francisco

The Chabad Houses in SF offer good resources for visitors: chabadnoevalley.org/centers/default_cdo/city…

In particular, chabadnoevalley.org/templates/articlecco_cdo…

Edited: 07 June 2013, 19:05
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kosher Dining in San Francisco

We have a wide variety of Halal restaurants but only one kosher glatt that I know of. I've never eaten at Sabra Grill, but the reviews are mixed.

http://www.zabihah.com/sp.php?k=type+%28optional%29&l=san+francisco%2C+ca

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kosher Dining in San Francisco

I'm sure Charlie D. knows more, but I'm pretty sure that a halal restaurant would not work in place of kosher, though the vice versa may be okay for some people.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,748 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kosher Dining in San Francisco

IF you are seriously following dietary laws then Halal is fine for Moslems and Kosher is fine for Jews but not necessarily switchable.