We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much is thue airport surcharge

Taipei, Taiwan
3 posts
Save Topic
How much is thue airport surcharge

I booked at rental at SFO and the quote says "THE RATE EXCLUDES

VAT/TAX

Collision Damage Waiver

Theft Protection

Airport Surcharge"

I don't want the collision damage waiver or theft protection, but how much witl the VAT/TAX and airport surcharge add to my bill? Thanks.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much is thue airport surcharge

The fee for cars rented by people arriving at SFO is $20. The fee was negotiated between the airport and car rental companies as a means of financing the AirTrain system - if you don't use the AirTrain to get to the car rental facility, you are not supposed to be charged the fee

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,826 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much is thue airport surcharge

1) How do you prove you didn't use the AirTrain?

2) If you go to the end of ANY rental car reservation, don't they show you the breakdown of everything?

Edited: 10 June 2013, 01:25
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,105 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much is thue airport surcharge

if you use a major car rental company such as Hertz, Avis, Alamo, enterprise, budget to go to a company like carhire3000.com you will get a deal which show all charges before you book There is no concept of a VAT in the US -- not sure what website you are using.

Rates from these websites will include LDW and will not charge one way fees. I think you may want to look at these companies -- Use the non us sites or make sure you declare your country of residence.

Taipei, Taiwan
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How much is thue airport surcharge

Thank you for your replies. I booked with Fox and have seen many warnings, but still want to figure this out. There is a breakdown of things included and then there is the exact statement quoted above saying what is excluded. I do have more faith in more reputable companies and may change my booking, but Fox was just so much cheaper, it's tempting to still try and see what happens.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much is thue airport surcharge

As long as you understand you're taking a risk with Fox...

I won't rent a car unless I know exactly what the charges will be. I'll expect an attempt at an up-sell when I'm at the rental counter, but when they say outright there will be extra charges without telling you what they are, you're not really in a position to argue when those charges turn out to be higher than you'd hoped.

Edited: 10 June 2013, 03:34
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,105 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much is thue airport surcharge

>>I booked with Fox and have seen many warnings, but still want to figure this out.

Great. Why not call or email them as they are the ONLY ones who can help you and figure it out. As you know we do not work for FOX or any car company so we cannot tell you what your total will be.

Have a great trip.

7. Re: How much is thue airport surcharge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2014, 05:17