My husband and I will be travelling to US from New Zealand for the first time for our honeymoon! We're staying in SF for 6 nights, then pick up a rental car 10am Sat 16 Sept, and have to drop it off in Las Vegas by 10am Monday 18 Sept. That give us two days to drive from SF - LV, and two overnight stops along the way.
Do you have suggestions on routes, and places (towns) to overnight?
Bit of background information:
- Scenic route would be good
- We're already doing a day tour to wine country while in SF
- Saturday night stay don't mind where (we were actually just going to choose a place based on liking the name of the town!)
- Sunday night stay would need to be no more than 2.5 hr drive from Las Vegas (in order to return car in time)
- Accommodation budget - no more than $120US per night, not sure if that rules out any towns? Motel type/B&B accommodation is fine, would prefer to avoid backpackers/camping.
- As we're staying weekends, would we need to book far in advance, or could we get away with booking the week prior when we're in SF? (not sure if mid Sept is peak tourist season in this area). Not opposed to arriving at a town and then finding a place to stay but if all accommodation books out well in advance then we'll obviously need to book soon.
- Other than above, totally open on how to get to LV and where to stay!
Thanks for any ideas!