We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Union Square to Golden Gate Bridge and Walk question

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
US
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Union Square to Golden Gate Bridge and Walk question

Hi. Hoping someone can help. I am flying in to SFO from East Coast, arriving approx. 9:30am local time. My assumption is that I will then get to my hotel (Marriott Union Square) and check in, etc. and then have lunch nearby. I was then thinking about walking the Golden Gate bridge especially after sitting on a plane for 5+ hours. I have a few thoughts, what is recommended? Any concerns with any option?

1) Bus to Broderick and Beach (where would I catch it and where can I find bus times?). Walk the 3.5 mile Golden Gate Promenade then across the bridge (1.7 miles) and then bus back to the hotel. Is it possible to catch transportation (bus?) back into the city to the hotel or must you walk back across the bridge first?

2) Same as #1 but walk both ways of the bridge for ~7 miles. If so, how to get back to the hotel after crossing the bridge by foot both ways?

Is there a better option?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
388 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Union Square to Golden Gate Bridge and Walk question

Hi there....I just stayed at a Union Square hotel and decided to walk the GG Bridge as well. What I did was catch the ferry to Sausalito (very scenic trip, very windy - so bundle up!) - you can catch a ferry either at the Ferry Building (walkable from Union Square - and the bonus of being able to grab an awesome snack to hold you over) or from Fisherman's Wharf (you can take the Hyde/Powell cable car and then walk the short distance to the ticket booth). It's about a 20-25 minute trip over to Sausalito.

From there, you can walk around Sausalito a bit and maybe grab your lunch there (if you don't decide to do so at the Ferry Building) and enjoy the SF skyline view. When I was ready to walk the bridge, I grabbed a taxi from the center square area right near where you got off the ferry. I think it cost about $10, and was less than 10 minutes to get from the main drag of Sausalito up to the area where you would begin your walk over the bridge. Some people have walked from Sausalito up to the bridge, but it was all uphill, dusty, curvy with some construction, so I wouldn't want to do it. Well worth the short cab ride.

I would say it took me a little over an hour to walk the bridge back over to the city - and that's with many stops to take pictures. Once I was over on the south side of the bridge, I took the 28 bus (towards Fort Mason) over to Chestnut Street in the marina area (I believe I got off the bus at Pierce) to grab a bite, as I was starving by that time. There are a lot of restaurants/boutiques along that stretch. It worked out well, because after lunch I was able to connect right there with the 30 Stockton bus back that took me right back into the Union Square area. It takes a little while to wind its way through Chinatown, with many stops. It was kind of a cool route back to Union Square though, and I got to see a lot of Chinatown along the way, just budget in some extra time.

I think another option would be to take the 28 bus from the bridge in the other direction (Daly City, I believe?) and spend some time in Golden Gate Park. Then, I think the local experts recommend taking the N-Judah back into the Union Square area (to Powell Street). I had initially wanted to do that, but I was running late and needed to get back to the hotel.

Hope this helps!

There may be a better bus combination to get you back to Union Square after you walk the bridge, but I just happened to be interested in grabbing a bite to eat and a friendly local on the 28 bus recommended the Chestnut street-connect to 30 Stockton bus option.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Union Square to Golden Gate Bridge and Walk question

Check the Top Questions (right side of screen from a non mobile device). There is one titled "Transit to Sights from Union Square" -- has all the info you need.

www.511.org for schedules although Muni doesn't adhere very closely to them, you can get an idea of frequency of the route. www.nextmuni.com for real time arrivals.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Union Square to Golden Gate Bridge and Walk question

Islandgal from Pittsburg offers an intriguing idea. I’d have never considered it.

Were you interested, check the Sausalito Ferry schedule from the ferry building before you travel. If doing it, consider lunch at the Ferry Building. A taxi from Sausalito to the bridge is very smart; so is walking south looking at the city rather than towards Marin as nice as it is. Then find your way back to the Marina and Muni’s 30 Stockton bus.

US
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Union Square to Golden Gate Bridge and Walk question

Thank you... all 3 of you! Very, very much appreciated. Lots to figure out and I'm sure I will be posting more topics in the upcoming weeks. I do like the idea of the ferry+taxi+walk+bus back to Union Square and that may be my plan!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
388 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Union Square to Golden Gate Bridge and Walk question

You're welcome! Hope you have a fantastic trip!

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Union Square to Golden Gate Bridge and Walk question

Option #1 is great. The walk along Crissy Field and up to the Golden Gate Bridge is beautiful. Even better than walking across the bridge itself in my opinion!

Once you walk across the bridge, I recommend catching the bus down to Sausalito. You can walk around downtown for a bit and then catch one of the ferries back to SF. Blue & Gold Fleet runs to Pier 41 and Golden Gate Ferry runs to the Ferry Building. (FYI, the Ferry Building is more convenient to Union Square.) The GGF ride is considered one of the most beautiful in the world, and although the B&GF ride isn't, the route is similar enough.

Once you cross the bridge, the bus stop to Sausalito is beyond the Vista Point parking lot, just past the Alexander Avenue off-ramp. Look for the Golden Gate Transit bus stop sign. Routes 2, 10, and 92 run down the hill into Sausalito (not walking distance, FYI). See http://www.goldengate.org for fares and schedules.

US
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Union Square to Golden Gate Bridge and Walk question

Thanks! After more research and finding that buses and ferries not leave every 15-20 minutes and more like every hour or so, I'll have to figure the best route, but now thinking since it will be a weekend taking the 76X or 30 bus to the Golden Gate Promenade area, walking it then over the bridge. From there either walk back over the bridge or go down to Saulitio for dinner and then the ferry back.

Again, I appreciate everyone's advice and support!

8. Re: Union Square to Golden Gate Bridge and Walk question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2014, 06:18