We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UberX Goes Cheaper than Taxis?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,087 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
UberX Goes Cheaper than Taxis?

This ought to get interesting very quickly.

I just got an email from Uber today touting the fact that their UberX low-emissions and mid-range vehicles are slashing rates and are now cheaper than cabs by 10%.

So that means average fare from the airport is about $50, tip included.

But I think it might be the wording in their email. When I cross-referenced with regulated cab rates, they're actually exactly the same. But still, that means you could order a car for the same price as a cab.

So base fare: $3.50

Each Additional mile: $2.75

$0.55 for each minute waiting

But no $2 airport surcharge

I guess you could still claim it's cheaper than cabs because the tip is included. Even with the Uber App, if you order a regular cab, they add a 20% gratuity.

Interesting development, regardless.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,470 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UberX Goes Cheaper than Taxis?

I am happy with the uber trips I have made so far. So it is interesting.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UberX Goes Cheaper than Taxis?

I got that email too. I think this makes Uber a little more competitive with Sidecar and Lyft, both of which have been slightly cheaper than Uber.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UberX Goes Cheaper than Taxis?

It's illegal for UberX and similar unlicensed companies to pick up passengers at SFO

huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/05/san-francisco-…

Edited: 12 June 2013, 20:25
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,087 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UberX Goes Cheaper than Taxis?

I've used Uber many times from the airport, but not UberX. How exactly would that be enforced? That's like saying Limos are illegal at airports.

But I do see the paragraph in the article cited:

"San Francisco-based ride sharing firm Uber's primary service, which allows customers to order town cars through an intuitive smartphone app, is still allowed to operate at the airport because its drivers have been licensed by the California Public Utilities Commission. The company's newer UberX service, however, which uses "community drivers" who don't hold permits with the state, has been barred."

I didn't realize that UberX were not licensed towncar drivers.

I thought when UberX originally rolled out that it was all about low-emissions vehicles as opposed to the black towncars.

It's like layers of an onion, isn't it?

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: UberX Goes Cheaper than Taxis?

I know someone who drives for them. And most, but not all UberX cars do have an airport pickup sticker.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: UberX Goes Cheaper than Taxis?

I was trying to edit.

I know someone who drives for them. Most, but not all UberX cars do have an airport pickup sticker; those who do not can drop off at the airport, but do not get calls to pick up there. The PUC has approved this but are still considering the issue, and is expected to make a ruling later this summer. The new price point is probably less than the cab companies, since you don't add a driver tip to UberX

Edited: 12 June 2013, 21:05
7. Re: UberX Goes Cheaper than Taxis?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 06:18