We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Sim for calls within California to use in a UK phone?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
196 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
US Sim for calls within California to use in a UK phone?

We are coming from the UK, and are wondering about purchasing a Sim card for local (well, within California) use in the USA - we wouldn't be calling outside the USA. Is this something that can be done easily, and would the Sim fit an unlocked Sony Xperia Arc S?

I'm not sure where to post this - I have looked but can't find a forum for this subject.

Grateful for any help on the subject.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Sim for calls within California to use in a UK phone?

If you go to moneysavingexpert website there is an excellent guide on this. I looked at this and was able to get a sim with talk, texts and mobile Internet very easily and set up was very quick.

UK
Level Contributor
196 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Sim for calls within California to use in a UK phone?

Thanks for the tip. Are these primarily for calling abroad? We don't need to make any international calls, only within the local area. Does that make any difference? I've had a look at uk2abroad, and it seems to focus on calling the UK from the USA. Data is useful. Is it a cheaper alternative to buy a Sim when we get to the US, and will it work in our phone?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Sim for calls within California to use in a UK phone?

There are many SIM cards plus prepaid phone service you can purchase in SF. Many phone stores will test the SIM card on your phone but it needs to be unlocked.

UK
Level Contributor
196 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Sim for calls within California to use in a UK phone?

Thanks, AL Tippet. That is useful to know. Presumably it's possible to get one with data too? It's been difficult finding an answer about this, as most people want to make international calls, which we don't.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US Sim for calls within California to use in a UK phone?

t-mobile.com/shop/plans/mobile-broadband-pla…

I am not an expert. But when i checked at the phone store, you purchase the SIM card separately. Then purchase a no contract plan based on how long you will be in the States.

Edited: 17 June 2013, 14:51
UK
Level Contributor
196 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Sim for calls within California to use in a UK phone?

Thanks, AL. I shall wait till I get to the US to check it out.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US Sim for calls within California to use in a UK phone?

Try asking your question in this Forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12530-Travel_G…

UK
Level Contributor
196 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US Sim for calls within California to use in a UK phone?

I am in the City now. Have heard that Tracphones are not always very good quality (refurbished phones), so may not be a good option. Some of the Amazon reviews for ready Sims are not encouraging - they refer to difficulty of setup and poor coverage. One shop quoted me $20 for a Sim plus 10 cents per minute for calls. I got the impression that the Sim is no good for subsequent use. No data, however. Any thoughts?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US Sim for calls within California to use in a UK phone?

I use tracfones with no issues for voice and text but data service is useless. Phones purchased at stores are new. If refurbished typically will be marked as refurbished.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,548 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: US Sim for calls within California to use in a UK phone?

use T-mobile as Al suggested before