We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment location

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Apartment location

I am looking for an apartment to rent during my stay in San Francisco. I wanted to check with the experts regarding the location. We will be in town as tourists without a car. I like the close proximity to the BART station.

SoMa: 663 Howard St.

Thanks for any advice!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,469 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment location

Are you going to the East Bay and hence want proximity to BART. It won't take you to most of the tourist sites. MUNI will. Check the TOP questions about BART and MUNI and the article to visit the attractions using MUNI

Location is ok. It is right next to the convention center and will be in a crowded part of SF. Is there an Apt there ? Humm. It is very close to BART as that is the only criteria you have. The TQs have a question on the areas where most stay in vacation rentals. But if there is an apt there, you should be fine

Edited: 20 June 2013, 07:24
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment location

you can go to google maps to see buildings. i found brewery company 661 next door to 667. area is ok.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,469 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment location

Yup. That is Thirsty Bear - good beer, so so food. I did not realize there is a place to rent there .

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment location

I wanted to stay close to BART because we are flying in and out of OAK and also going to an A's game. I'm also concerned about hauling luggage across town and hate to spend money on a cab. Can you take luggage on the muni bus?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment location

belo, i don't know if there is a place there. i didn't see #663. unless it's down the door well and there is another door that says 663. belo, you seem to have eaten in every place!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment location

I agree with Rachel ... Thirsty Bear is 661 Howard and the building next door is clearly marked 667 on Google Street View.

The area is OK if the most important thing is getting to/from OAK and to the coliseum. It's less attractive as a base to sightsee through SF. One thing that isn't obvious from a map is the length of the blocks south of Market -- they're quite a bit longer than those on the other side.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartment location

FYI, the Union Square area or the Embarcadero area will be just as close to BART which runs under Market Street and then goes underwater to The East Bay. I would much rather stay in those areas rather than Howard St, as there are many more options to dine, drink, sightsee, ride the cable cars, and attend theatre. But if you must rent an apartment, look upper right on this page under the Top Questions for the discussion "Vacation rentals / neighborhoods"

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,469 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartment location

Can you take bags on MUNI. It depends on the size of bags which we cannot guess and the time of day. You cannot take them on Cable cars and it is not very convenient on Muni. As was mentioned before there are other places which are walking distance from BART where you can stay.

if you do have a place to stay at the address you posted, I guess it is ok to stay there

Rachel -- Its a beer place with an attempt at Tapas -- in fact there was a TA meetup there a year or so ago.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Apartment location

I looked on city-data and it shows 663 Howard is an office building. I would verify before committing.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Apartment location

I think 663 Howard has it's entrance behind Thirsty Bear on Tehama street