We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 100 Restaurants (in the Bay Area)

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Top 100 Restaurants (in the Bay Area)

Top 100 Restaurants per food critic Michael Bauer

…sfgate.com/blog/…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,463 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 100 Restaurants (in the Bay Area)

Now where should I eat that is not too expensive and is family friendly and has good food but not too exotic ? It has to be a safe area.

:-)

Edited: 25 June 2013, 18:46
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,435 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top 100 Restaurants (in the Bay Area)

Thanks for sharing. Will have to make the rounds... We clean up pretty well for white linen type places. But we much prefer casual places where jeans and t-shirts for the hubs and wind blown hair without makeup for me.

Edited: 25 June 2013, 19:10
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,435 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top 100 Restaurants (in the Bay Area)

LOL belo... there must be some that are on the list. If folks who ask that question find Asian and Mexican fare too exotic, they are missing out.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,275 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top 100 Restaurants (in the Bay Area)

I've never understood Top 100 lists from anyone.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top 100 Restaurants (in the Bay Area)

To me, there will always be people (myself included) that don't agree with all of the suggestions on the list. IMO, a list of the Top 100 restaurants or Cheap Eats simply provides options to explore - and I like that. Of course, it matters a lot for the restaurants listed. And as belo & chinita indicate, people's tastes & budgets can vary a lot.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top 100 Restaurants (in the Bay Area)

I've only been to 4 on the list. 5 if you count catered food from Mina's. I am a sluggard. Maybe I should ban myself from answering any food related questions. Just give me a good dog biscuit.

Edited: 25 June 2013, 21:23
Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,284 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top 100 Restaurants (in the Bay Area)

Always a controversial list put out by Mr. Bauer.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Top 100 Restaurants (in the Bay Area)

Does this guy seriously eat at all 4,000 restaurants every year to find the best of the best in all categories? Or does he just eat in places where the carpet is thicker than the steaks? He should get out a little more. He might find, as I did, that the best hot dog in the world is located in the baseball park. But that is a category for the 99% who are non cognisanti

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,593 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Top 100 Restaurants (in the Bay Area)

Some places are just not for me.

I will never visit Incanto, because I don't eat all the parts.

I've had a reservation at Gitane and changed it because I was not in the mood for "saddle of rabbit" or quail.

Yelp reviews of Mission Chinese just skewered the place as being dirty and having bad service.

Most of the time I don't want to be challenged by my meal - I just want to enjoy it.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,463 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Top 100 Restaurants (in the Bay Area)

which is the best hot dog in the world to be found in the baseball park ?

Mission chinese SFI - - it is in an existing Chinese restaurant as you know and nothing was changed in that place when MC moved in. Looks like a typical Chinese place -- I don't know what the type of chinese food it is but whatever it is--- fusion chinese -- I thought it was very good and the service was fine -- in fact much better than what one gets at many Chinese restaurants --

Edited: 25 June 2013, 23:02