We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Sausalito vs San Francisco

Level Contributor
20 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Sausalito vs San Francisco

We'll be visiting San Francisco for 3 days in August. What are your thoughts on staying in Sausalito vs Fisherman's Wharf or Nob Hill or Union Square. What should we expect from the commute?

We'll be taking in the ususal tourist sites as it's our first visit.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Sausalito
Sausalito
Marin County, CA
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
15,520 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Nob Hill
Nob Hill
187 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Union Square
Union Square
1,842 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Richmond, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Sausalito vs San Francisco

For your first trip to San Francisco, I would stay in SF. You'll be within walking distance from your hotel room to see many cool things. While Sausalito is pretty, the only way into town is by ferry or driving the Golden Gate Bridge, which means delays and traffic. You didn't say whether you were planning to have a car, but most experienced travelers would say it's useless to have a car in the city. Parking is very expensive, most places of tourist interest in the city core are within walking distance, and the public transport system works really well.

Some people stay in Sausalito for the jaw-dropping views of the city, but in August there can be dense summer coastal fog which could completely obscure your view across the bay. I've had lunch in Sausalito on summer days where you couldn't see 30 feet across the water.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Sausalito
Sausalito
Marin County, CA
Golden Gate Bridge
Golden Gate Bridge
41,995 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
55,877 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Sausalito vs San Francisco

Stay in SF instead of Sausalito and there is a TOP Question which covers the areas in SF with hotels. With a Sausalito ferry, you are limited to the ferry hours and cannot stay late in the city without some other from of transport. Parking in SF is expensive and a car is not needed but agree with what Scott mentions

Mentioned in this post
Sausalito
Sausalito
Marin County, CA
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,945 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Sausalito vs San Francisco

With only three days to spend in SF, it's not worth the time it would take to commute back and forth IMO. You wouldn't really save anything on hotels (more choice in hotels in SF especially if you have kids with you). Staying in Sausalito would pretty much rule out a rest break at the hotel during the day if anyone needs it. If you want to see the SF skyline from there, take the ferry over, walk around a bit, perhaps have lunch and then go back to the city.

Mentioned in this post
Sausalito
Sausalito
Marin County, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,284 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Sausalito vs San Francisco

Agree vehemently with all of the above advice.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Sausalito vs San Francisco

Though I'm not a local, I must say that I too considered staying in Sausalito as well at first. Now that I completed my trip, I would 100% agree with the other posters. Sausalito is a cool and wonderful town, but staying in the city was worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Sausalito
Sausalito
Marin County, CA
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,979 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Sausalito vs San Francisco

Count me as part of the "pile on," that not a good idea (especially for a first trip).

The ferry hours have been mentioned consider that on weekdays if you wanted to do something in the city before ~7:30am or after about ~8:30pm . . . well, you're not going to be taking the ferry. And remember, those are the weekday schedules, it's worse on the weekends. Plus, it will cost you some additional time of since you'll need a (longer) MUNI ride to get to most of the places you'll be wanting to go; okay, not the Ferry Building or Fisherman's Wharf ;-)

Also, fares will be ~$20/per person/day, for two people over 3 days . . . you're talking $120. I'd apply that money toward my hotel budget and/or a good meal and enjoy: a) early morning walks, b) after diner nightcaps, walks, a movie or show, and c) not spending an additional 60 minutes each day "commuting" to my vacation.

That's my $.02,

hlo

Mentioned in this post
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
15,520 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Sausalito vs San Francisco

Thank you all for your input! I love TRIPADVISOR. Guess we'll be staying in SF. Now to determine where to stay - Nob Hill, Union Square or Fisherman's Wharf.

I'd also welcome any touristy input. My husband and I will be traveling with our 14 year old son. He is really into sports and not so much museums.

Mentioned in this post
Nob Hill
Nob Hill
187 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Union Square
Union Square
1,842 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
15,520 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Sausalito vs San Francisco

As for Union Square vs fisherman's wharf, I think it's pretty well covered in the top questions. While fisherman's wharf can have nice views, it's very tourist centered and less central to transit. Union Square is a nice shopping area with many hotels and places to eat nearby.

Nob Hill isn't all that far from Union Square, but it's on top of a very steep hill and there are only a limited number of restaurants and things to choose from up there. The views can be nice, but the hill makes an obstacle that may be a bit of a hassle since you'll probably not want to walk back up the hill to your hotel and will probably want to take a bus, cable car or taxi back up the hill. I can imagine this can make it harder to pop back to your hotel during the day or may make you reluctant to go out for quick sight seeing or dinner at night since you know you'll have the obstacle of getting back up the hill afterward.

If your son likes sports you may want to see if the sf giants or Oakland A's are playing the days you are in town. There are also lots of outdoor activities like hiking in the bay area and even within the city if he is sporty in that way.

Mentioned in this post
Union Square
Union Square
1,842 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Nob Hill
Nob Hill
187 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Oakland
Oakland
California
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Sausalito vs San Francisco

I think your choices come down to FW or US. Nob Hill is pretty dead at night with the exception of the grand hotels. US is pretty much the center of shopping and dining, and is closest to both ball parks and easy access to public transit. FW has a never ending carnival atmosphere which will probably appeal to Junior. From there it is an easy walk up to North Beach with great dining options and coffee houses, and China Town is just beyond These can easily be reached from US as well. Nob Hill means you can walk down but at the end of the day when you want to dump your treasures before going out to eat, well let's just say it can be more than a hassle.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Nob Hill
Nob Hill
187 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
North Beach
North Beach
261 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Palm Desert...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Sausalito vs San Francisco

does the same advice hold true from the berkley area/ richmond BART station?