We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bart Strike?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Bart Strike?

Just a heads up for visitors coming to the city in the near future, to keep tabs on the news.

My guess is that this will likely come to a conclusion before an actual strike would take place - but better to be prepared than not.

sfgate.com/bayarea/article/BART-workers-vote…

The editor in me hates that TripAdvisor wouldn't allow me to put BART in all caps in the title.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,568 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bart Strike?

Also the possibility of AC Transit sympathy strike. Time to take a couple weeks of vacation.

sf
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bart Strike?

Unfortunately I took my vacation at Mouse House last week and take BART to work daily from the Peninsula.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bart Strike?

Thanks for the info, if it happens, it would be an major impact for tourists, especially if other transit companies in the Bay Area join in.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,061 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bart Strike?

The impact for most tourists will be getting to and from SFO and OAK. They do have the option of staying in SF to see SF -- people who live in the Peninsula have caltrain or have to drive/ carpool and people who live in the East bay all cannot move to SF so they have to take ferries or carpool or work from home if they can. It will be a bigger pain for commuters than for SF based visitors.

Edited: 27 June 2013, 00:33
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bart Strike?

I think the big thing, will the MUNI workers join the strike, at least at the combination stations that service both BART and MUNI services (aka not cross the picket lines). (And this is just a possibility, not a fact).

And of course, other transit systems that connect to the BART system...

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,061 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bart Strike?

If MUNI goes on Sympathy strike I am driving down south he he

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bart Strike?

So, enjoy the fireworks at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk on the 4th ;)

The fact they are thinking about the 4th is good and bad, less folks that need the BART and related service to commute, since they will get the day(s) off, but not good for folks that want to do things since they are off work, and the tourists.

Hopefully a deal is agreed to before an actual strike.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,396 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bart Strike?

I haven't heard anything about Muni going on strike.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bart Strike?

If Muni goes out, don't the cable cars shut down?

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,396 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bart Strike?

Yes.

It's extremely unlikely that Muni will go out on strike. I'm not seeing or reading any news that Muni workers are even considering it.