We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sfo to highway one

new york
Level Contributor
204 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
sfo to highway one

How do I get from sfo to highway one for our trip to Monterey? AI correct I can take highway 1 all the way to Monterey? I was trying to play around with google maps but i'm having some trouble. thanks

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sfo to highway one

From the airport take I380W -> I280S -> Highway 92W and you'll hit Highway 1. Yes, you can take it all the way to Monterey.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,608 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sfo to highway one

There are plenty of ways to get to Hwy 1 from SFO on your way to Monterey - which route is best depends on whether you want the most scenic, the fastest, least traffic, etc. Sal's route is a good one if you aren't in a big hurry and want scenery - will get you onto Hwy 1 at Half Moon Bay, so you can enjoy coastal scenery en route to Monterey.

sf
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sfo to highway one

Sal's way is the best unless you're going down to the coast on the weekend, or when its hot around the Bay, when traffic back up on 92West before it hits 280S. In which case its better to take 280 South to Highway 17, or get on Highway 1 in from 280 N to Highway 1 via Pacifica, then take it all the way to Monterey.

new york
Level Contributor
204 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sfo to highway one

As long as our flights run somewhat on time we'll take highway one all the way. AAA directions take us 101S, 85, 17, then 1 around Santa Cruz. We're coming from the east coast, if by chance our planes get delayed and we're tired and just want to get to Monterey , during normal traffic, about how much longer does it take Sals way vs AAA?

thanks all

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,608 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sfo to highway one

Of all the ways to get to Monterey, the one recommended by AAA is not the one I would not recommend. It is fine if you are going to Santa Cruz, but no need to go over Hwy 17 if you aren't - especially if you are tired since that road takes some concentration.

If you want to get to Monterey quickly, the best route is 380/280/85/101/156/1. This sounds like a lot of highways, but once you see it on a map, you will see it is not bad. You could take Hwy 101 directly from the airport, but that part of Hwy 101 is ugly and industrial, and more importantly under perpetual construction and has tons of potholes. Taking the 380/280/85 alternate route is much nicer and doesn't take any more time. You link back up with Hwy 101 south of San Jose.

Plan 2 hours with this route, 2.5 with Sal's route.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,620 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sfo to highway one

If you are tired and want to get there the easiest/fastest you should probably just take highway 101south and then cut west towards the coast of highway 156 at Prunedale (There will be signs for Monterey there). This is probably 1 hour and 45 minutes without traffic. It's probably the same amount of driving time as the AAA route but you would avoid highway 17 which is a twisty commuter highway that goes over the Santa Cruz mountains.

I think if you went Sal's way it would be about 30 minutes longer

sf
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: sfo to highway one

You haven't said when you're arriving and that can have a major effect on the route, Sean is correct about 17, but Moon's route is the quickest because it gets you past San Jose's Downtown traffic by taking 85 around 101.

If you hit commute hours it'll be a parking lot anyway, until you're past Gilroy if on 101 or until Santa Cruz on 17.

Edited: 01 July 2013, 23:05
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sfo to highway one

If you are heading out at the height of commute, then taking Highway 92 to Highway 1 may not be any longer.

There are carpool lanes on 280 and 85 in San Jose which can make a big difference. (Assuming there are two of you.)

Edited: 01 July 2013, 23:09
new york
Level Contributor
204 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sfo to highway one

We arrive at SFO noon on the 4th

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,665 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sfo to highway one

You will be fine with Sal's route, and the drive down the coast from Half Moon Bay is not demanding nor curvy nor slow, but pretty. I would choose it.

If not, DO NOT go Hwy 101 from the airport. This is often traffic clogged and the ride is through ugly industrial stuff until you pass San Jose.

If you are in a hurry I would take 380 to 280, then south to 85 . This bypasses San Jose traffic and is a wide freeway going through residential areas. It automatically runs into 101 south of San Jose and then you take 156 WEST into Monterey.

However, it will not take you much longer to drop down to Hwy 1 at Half Moon Bay and take Hwy 1 all the way to Monterey. That would be my choice.