We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Not Use Priceline For Car Rental!!!

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Do Not Use Priceline For Car Rental!!!

We reserved a car at a good price through Priceline, but when we got to the SFO Hertz car rental desk, there was a line about 100 feet long! The counter had seats for 13 agents, but only 3 were there! We waited for about 1/2 hour and determined the line would take about 3 hours, so we rented from National instead. We called Priceline and complained, but we had to pay for the car that we never got! We ended up paying for two cars! WE WILL NEVER RENT A CAR FROM PRICELINE AGAIN!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do Not Use Priceline For Car Rental!!!

Welcome to TA forums. I don't know why this is a Priceline issue. Perhaps this is a hertz issue as they were to blame if as you say, they had long lines. You say 3 hours but I guess you don't know. Anyway a long long time.

Humm. I have not seen people complain about long lines at Hertz -- personally I have never had issues with Hertz wrt lines as we have Gold service.

But you did have a reservation and you chose to go with National. and it was your decision to pay for two cars

I would have waited and then called Hertz and told them about it. They are typically pretty good about it.

How was your trip to SF. I think we would love to hear that given this is your first post since you became a member in 2008.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,779 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do Not Use Priceline For Car Rental!!!

What does that have to do with Priceline? Did you read the rental contract? Yes you rent it you have to pay for it. This is the same whether you rent from Priceline or directly with the rental car company. I just rented a car myself and the contract states clearly that I have to cancel at least 24 hrs before pickup time, and I rented directly from the rental company. If this is anyone's fault it's Hertz' fault for not planning for the number of customers they have.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
214 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do Not Use Priceline For Car Rental!!!

Like belomiser, I don't understand why this is a Priceline issue. If someone had reserved a car at the Hertz website or some other site for pickup at the same time as you, they would have run into the same situation.

Long lines are a drag but they rarely take as long as they look.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do Not Use Priceline For Car Rental!!!

There's price and there's convenience - and they rarely walk hand in hand.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do Not Use Priceline For Car Rental!!!

Not exactly true sfi. I presume all Hertz customers were in that line (except Gold Members). I believe those who booked through Hertz, and not Priceline, were paying a lot more but were in the same line.

So in this case, you get what you pay for. I'd have more sympathy if you had paid full price and were still stuck in that line.

Edited: 02 July 2013, 00:03
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do Not Use Priceline For Car Rental!!!

The last time I rented Hertz was in NYC last year and I had an issue how the car started. for some reason after a few days, it just would not crank. Barely had 1000 miles on it (we added some of that) but we managed to get it to work . I suspect it was the Electronics. When we returned it, they asked us how the car was and I told them the issue not because I wanted something but I did not want others to get stuck. Got a gift cert for the issue.

Now should I have gone and ranted and raved -- DO not buy or rent a Mercedes. ? Seriously ?

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do Not Use Priceline For Car Rental!!!

Totally bogus complaint. TA should delete this.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do Not Use Priceline For Car Rental!!!

This is a Hertz issue, not a Priceline issue. I have rented through Priceline several times, and I stood in the exact same line as the people who booked with the agency in question. I had a terrible time with Hertz on a trip to Florida last year, but I had a great time with them in Arizona in 2010. It varies by location, time, and quality/quantity of staff. Unfortunately there isn't much competition in the rental car business, so customer service takes a back seat.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,682 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do Not Use Priceline For Car Rental!!!

Yep, this is a Hertz issue, not Priceline. I've never had to wait that long for Hertz - and I am not a Gold Customer, just a regular one. But I have had serious long waits with National - holiday weekend where they literally had NO cars available and customers had to wait for cars to be turned in and re-rented. Now THAT was fun... Anyway, sometimes crap like this happens. Someone somewhere didn't do something and everything gets screwed up. Like others have said, the rental car industry isn't exactly a customer-focused industry, so crap seems to happen a lot with renting cars.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,664 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do Not Use Priceline For Car Rental!!!

I think that the OP believes that they rented the car from Priceline not Hertz.. What a goofy post.