We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outdoor activities in July?

New York City
4 posts
Save Topic
Outdoor activities in July?

I have been to San Francisco a couple times and each time I've visited I tried something different. This time around I need recommendations of outdoor activities I can do for the month of July?

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outdoor activities in July?

Hi Vibes360 and welcome to the Forums.

Your question is a little vague. Are you looking for something different or more adventurous than mere hiking?

Hiking: Coastal Trail from Land's End to Lincoln Park. Marin Headlands. Mt. Tam (depending on whether you have a car), Angel Island.

Kayaking at Sausalito.

Ziplining in Sonoma.

Mentioned in this post
Marin Headlands
Marin Headlands
1,820 Reviews
Marin County, CA
Sausalito
Sausalito
Marin County, CA
Sonoma
Sonoma
Sonoma County, CA
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,055 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outdoor activities in July?

I agree that "outdoor activities" is somewhat vague and (pretty much as always) additional information/details will encourage more & better suggestions.

That said, I agree with Sal's suggestion re: Angel Island and will add Golden Gate Park to her list. You can easily spend the better part of the day doing outdoorsy stuff. Walk from the Haight to Ocean Beach, check out the lakes on the western end of the park & their /"wildlife," rent a pedal boat on Stow Lake, Tea Garden & Botanical Garden, Bison Paddock, visit some of the more obscure areas of the park, maybe rent a bike or skates, etc.

A few other ideas: ferry ride/bay cruise, bike the GG Bridge to Sausalito, Fort Funston hike (check out the hang gliders), hiking in the Presidio, Mount Davidson Park, Ocean Beach, Sutro Bath ruins, and . . . (the list goes on).

I tended to focus more on "nature" type aspects/areas, but simply walking around SF neighborhoods and/or a walk along the bay are also certainly "outdoor" activities (Treasure Island?).

Anyway, there's a few thoughts,

hlo

Mentioned in this post
Golden Gate Park
Golden Gate Park
8,479 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Stow Lake
Stow Lake
97 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco Botanical Garden
San Francisco Botanical...
745 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Sausalito
Sausalito
Marin County, CA
Fort Funston
Fort Funston
138 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Presidio Inn & Suites
Presidio Inn & Suites
220 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Treasure Island
Treasure Island
219 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outdoor activities in July?

The Exploratorium has a new location and is a pleasant walk away. My favorite trek is described at everytrail.com/guide/san-francisco-walking-t…

Mentioned in this post
Exploratorium
Exploratorium
3,051 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
New York City
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Outdoor activities in July?

Hi RamblinSal,

Thanks very much for your feedback. On my previous visits to the Bay I've done lots of shopping, wine tasting to viewing the murals in Mission District. This time around I'd like to take part in activities such as hiking a trail, yakahing, biking etc. Events are fine too, I'm basically looking for activities to keep me on my toes while I'm there visitng.

Mentioned in this post
Mission District
Mission District
451 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
New York City
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Outdoor activities in July?

Thank you also Hlo and AL!

Those are great suggestions. I'm also a nature person myself so those should suit me perfectly!

I'm greatly appreciative of all your comments, I can't wait to visit!

sf
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Outdoor activities in July?

Depends on whether you have a car or not , but have you been down the Sam Mateo coast or West Marin, or taken a trip to Monterey /Carmel. Some outdoor stuff in July is limited by a lot of Fog.

Mentioned in this post
Sam's Diner
Sam's Diner
536 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Marin County
Marin County
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outdoor activities in July?

Heh heh. I would say it's enhanced by a lot of fog!

New York City
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Outdoor activities in July?

SFNATIV, no I do not have a car.

9. Re: Outdoor activities in July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2014, 06:18