We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We need to make decision!

Iowa
Level Contributor
124 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
We need to make decision!

We cannot make a decision here. We are taking a quick trip to California and I'm not sure how to split our time. Due to using some flight vouchers, timing etc, we are flying into San Jose on Thursday,July 25th. Yosemite is a "must" for my husband, so we're driving to Oakhurst on Thursday and the rest of Friday and all of Saturday at Yosemite. We get up on Sunday morning and start driving back to the bay area. Here's where we can't decide. We have until Tuesday night when we have to stay in San Jose due to a very early flight home on Wednesday. We are trying to decide: Do we stay in Napa on Sunday and Monday night and drive into San Francisco for a day? Or do we stay in San Francisco and drive out to Napa for a day? I know we don't have enough time at either place, but it's the amount of time we have. And I know it depends on where we want to spend the majority of time. What I would like to know, as far as logistics, which one is easier as far as driving, parking in San Francisco etc. And if anyone has a good idea on how to spend our time starting Sunday and getting us back to San Jose on Tuesday night, I would appreciate. We cannot make decision and we need to get reservations done.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,349 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We need to make decision!

It is of course a lot easier to stay and park in Napa. But even that I'd stay 2 days in SF because there is lots more to do and see in the city, unless you are big on wine and want to spend lots of time touring wineries.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,612 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We need to make decision!

Have you seen both places ? What are you interested in doing ? You have a short time so you do need to decide what interests you. As TSS mentions parking is easier in Napa over SF but one should not make vacation decisions based on parking. yes it is a factor but you can find a hotel which has parking included in SF.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: We need to make decision!

Personally I would stay in SF the whole time and save Napa for another trip. There's a lot more to do and more variety of activities.

There are some SF hotels with free parking. My friends liked the Columbus Motor Inn. Another thread here mentions motels on Lombard.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We need to make decision!

Personally, I'd go with staying in SF over Napa. Here's some of my reasons:

1. "Reverse rush hour" - stay in Napa and go into SF during the day? You'll be driving the same direction as a whole bunch of commuters. Sure you can avoid it, but that means delaying heading into the city and cutting into you're time in SF. (Heading back is less of an issue as I presume you'd stay in the city past the evening rush hour.

2. More to do "off hours" - not saying there isn't anything to do in the Napa area after 5:00 (for sure, there is), but there is certainly less than in SF. Presuming one of your main focus with Napa is doing winery stuff which can easily be done during business hours with a drive from SF. After you're done, you return to SF and there will be plenty to do during the evening/night.

Bottom Line: I just see you being able to maximize the use of the little slices of time that can occur by being in SF rather than Napa. Got 30 minutes before you want to eat a late dinner? In Napa your options will be limited, in SF that's enough time to take a pleasant stroll to the restaurant, maybe a little shopping, a pre-dinner drink, or . . . . Plus, the driving aspect of staying in SF & visiting Napa (rather than vice-versa) should minimize the time lost due to heavy traffic.

Now, if you've got your heart set on Napa, are real wine lovers, plan on making a second trip to the area, etc; then maybe you could stay in Napa and see the area enough to forego a return to it the next time. The idea being that don't have enough time to do all of SF even if you punt on Napa, but the reverse is not as true (not saying you can do everything worth doing in wine country in the time you've got, but you can certainly get closer to "doing it all" than you can with SF).

That's all for now, maybe more later.

Hope it helps,

hlo

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We need to make decision!

Id agree to stay in SF- there's plenty to enjoy there.

About your Yosemite trip: are you staying in Oakhurst the whole time? It's a bit of a drive from there to most places in Yosemite. It's good for your first night, but you might want to consider staying in the valley or El Portal instead once you're there. There are a lot of last minute cancellations so it's worth checking out.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,122 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We need to make decision!

I would head back to SF on Sunday, early if possible as traffic can be heavy.

Hotel parking is usually expensive but you can self-park at a nearby garage for less.

Look at bestparking or parkingguru?? to find cheaper lots...call the lot to confirm pricing

Or opt for a motor inn along Lombard that has free parking.

You could hit Napa on Tuesday before heading to SJ.

I would not do Napa on Sunday as it will be choked with Bay Area weekenders.

7. Re: We need to make decision!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 06:17