We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety of the Tenderloin district

Iowa
Level Contributor
125 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Safety of the Tenderloin district

I have heard mixed comments on the safety of the Tenderloin district. We are staying at the Prescott Hotel, which i've read in some reviews is right on the outskirts of Tenderloin. How safe is it? Do we need to make a concerted effort to stay out of the area?

Mentioned in this post
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety of the Tenderloin district

in the meantime, before others chime in, you can do a search about safety and the tenderloin in this forum.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,317 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety of the Tenderloin district

You would actually have to make a concerted effort to go into it, as there is little of touristic interest there. And to say the Prescott is on the edge of the Tenderloin is sort of stretching things, as it's only 2 blocks away from Union Square and on a main street. I wouldn't worry about the location, but be aware as you would in any part of a big city. You would only be walking through the Tenderloin from there if you decided to walk to the Civic Center -- which would be a bad idea on many levels!

Mentioned in this post
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
Union Square
Union Square
1,857 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety of the Tenderloin district

The Prescott Hotel is on Post Street. I wouldn't say it's close to the Tenderloin. Certainly not borderline -- there are certainly many other find hotels that are closer.

But if you're walking along and get to an area that doesn't feel comfortable, just turn around and retrace your steps.

Mentioned in this post
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
4. Re: Safety of the Tenderloin district

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 06:19