We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Sourdough in SF?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Topic
Best Sourdough in SF?

I know this will ignite WWIII, but who's got the best and why? What is the history of it?

I really like John's Grill's bread but it might just be because of the martini before the bread. I also like Swan Oyster Depot's combination of bread and fish, but it could be that anything tastes good with their oysters!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Sourdough in SF?

Parisian was hands down the best - you could find the "late bake" bread at Safeway still warm from the oven. It's a shame they had to close down the bakery.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Sourdough in SF?

I will probably get hit with a baguette but I prefer sweet and Acme is my favorite by far.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,397 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Sourdough in SF?

Parisian was tourist bread. It's no longer around.

I agree with the Yelp ratings that ACME makes some of the very best sourdough bread. ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/acme_bread_comp…

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Sourdough in SF?

I agree Acme has the best sour taste. I often wonder how visitors who have never had sourdough bread react to this taste. As San Franciscans, we learned to love the taste from the beginning of our lives. Anyone ?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,398 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Sourdough in SF?

Everyone has their favorites, Arizmendi Bakery, Acme, even Boudin has its fans.

If I am in SF, I'll make the effort to go to Acme (well not too much of an effort, it is three blocks from my office), but if I am not close I am fine with Boudin, even the locations you know where and the other you know where.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,470 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Sourdough in SF?

When Scott wants Sourdough - he runs (drives ) everyone in OC drives after his swim to DCA, flashes his special badge -- I think he has one -- runs to the Boudin Baker inside the store

They ask him "The usual ? Mr Scott sir ?" "yes" he says and leaves with a loaf...

Agree Scott ? he he

Edited: 11 July 2013, 00:54
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,398 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Sourdough in SF?

Purdy dang close belo ;)

Rothera, null...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Sourdough in SF?

Gotta echo the Acme bread lovers. Past few years, Acme has consistently made the best sourdough IMO.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Sourdough in SF?

I like Semifreddi's which started around the same time as Acme round the corner in Kensington.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Sourdough in SF?

<<Parisian was tourist bread. It's no longer around.>>

Parsian was NOT tourist bread - they were making original delicious hard crust San Francisco sourdough from 1856-2005 - 6 generations before Acme. Oh and by the way, Acme isn't even a San Francisco company - they are headquarterd in Berkeley