We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Oakland Airport area safe?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Basking Ridge, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
Is Oakland Airport area safe?

I will start my five-day trip in San Francisco next week. I booked a hotel in the Oakland Airport area, because the hotel there is cheap, compared to the price in the SF area. Just now I realized Oakland is not a safe city. So I am thinking to cancel the reservation, and book one in SF area. I purchased the hotel through Hotwire, not sure if I can get the refund. But before I do that, I just want to get some suggestions from the folks here. Should I cancel the hotel in Oakland? Is it convenient to drive to SF and nearby places from Oakland?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Oakland Airport area safe?

Four nights at Oakland Airport in an attempt to visit SF?

I'm afraid that's not a very good idea. And driving from there to SF? Even worse. The traffic around the Bay Bridge is some of the worst in the area. The hotel probably has a shuttle back to the airport from which you can catch AirBART to the BART station and then BART into SF (for a total of about $8 each way). But it's hugely inconvenient to take three forms of transit to get from your hotel to downtown SF.

I would immediately check Hotwire and see what their cancellation policy is. Cancel if you can.

There are budget hotels in SF. In fact, we have a Top Question which has a long list of them (right side of screen on non-mobile device).

What are these "nearby places" you are planning on visiting?

If your primary intent is to see San Francisco, a car is not needed -- any more than one is in NYC. You might want to rent one for a day to visit Muir Woods, wine country or Point Reyes but keep it just for one day.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,112 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Oakland Airport area safe?

This is the San Francisco forum so we can help you with SF based questions. I got the cheap part but where are you spending most of your time in the Bay Area ? Perhaps that can help you with your hotel answer

>>>Just now I realized Oakland is not a safe city.

Oakland is a huge city and has some great areas with restaurants and shops and the downtown area is bustling. Oakland hills area has some lovely houses and I bet many would be more expensive than Basking Ridge (ATT land ) To make a general statement about a city is irresponsible -- We all know how the state of New Jersey is portrayed on TV. Is that true for the whole state ?

Would you stay in the Jersey burbs to see NYC

The Airport area is not known for its great hotels and some parts are avoided late night.

Please read these questions in the Top Questions

Stay In SF to See SF

Why not have a car in SF? What if we cannot return it? (Added March 2013)

JAHSanMateo may have a different opinion. Where are you

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Oakland Airport area safe?

If it is safe depends somewhat on exactly where in Oakland the hotel is. I don't consider the area around the airport the safest part of Oakland, but your hotel itself may be perfectly safe while the surrounding area is less that way. I think in general that area of Oakland wouldn't be someplace I would walk around on foot after dark both because of safety and perhaps distances to desirable things to do. It may be ok if you're taking a car to all your destinations.

Speaking of taking a car, you will need to cross the bay bridge if you take a car to San Francisco which will add time, traffic and a toll to your commute back and forth.

If you were staying in the city you likely would not need a car at all and would probably save on commute time to your activities in San Francisco.

Whether it's worth losing the money you've already paid on a nonrefundable reservation is really a personal choice. Many people presumably stay at Oakland airport area hotels without safety incidents, but you will want to get in a car to go most everywhere.

If you decide to rebook elsewhere, please have a look at the top questions about budget hotels in San Francisco and one about reasons to stay in San Francisco rather than outside of town.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Oakland Airport area safe?

I just realized that this may be as refundable reservation since hotwire sells both refundable and not. However, afaik, all the blind booking hotels (where you are not told hotel name until after you book) are non-refundable bookings.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,273 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Oakland Airport area safe?

The area around Oakland Airport is probably safe enough, because there's nothing to walk to. You'll be driving to and from everything (and I mean everything, unless you eat breakfast and dinner at your hotel every day). It's a very boring industrial/commercial area, with no street life, neighborhood feel or vitality of any type. Take a look on Google's Street View, then please cancel if you can. It's last minute during high season, but I'd hope we could find you something better in SF proper (or at least near SF airport, which is marginally more convenient and attractive).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Oakland Airport area safe?

What is the hotel name? And is it non-refundable? It may be OK depending on the location and we can help offer tips on how to make the travel easier.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,096 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Oakland Airport area safe?

The Oakland airport is perfectly safe and it's right next to Alameda. I used to work five minutes away from there. Getting to SF from the Oakland airport will take some time, but it's do-able. SF is definitely expensive and you can take a shuttle to the BART station, if you don't want to drive.

You're really the best about where to stay and how to spend your vacation month. Oakland is as safe as San Francisco. There are good areas and crummy areas, great food and restaurants, and a wide range of cuisine. I know people who are more than willing to stay farther away and take BART into SF to save money on their hotel. Driving into San Francisco is simple as long as you're accustomed to small, busy cities with tight parking.

If you have a car, be sure to visit Twin Peak for the great view - and dress warmly. It's windy and cold atop that hill, but the view is amazing! There are many great places to eat in Oakland and many places are less expensive than San Francisco.

In Jack London Square, there's Bocanova with inventive, delicious Pan American food. Near Lake Merritt, there's Boot & Shoe Service which has excellent pasta and probably the best pizza you can get. On Park Boulevard (above Lake Merritt) Ballanico has a brunch, a lunch, and a dinner tasting menu which a friend and I tried once for dinner and we loved it.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,096 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Oakland Airport area safe?

Sorry, it's late ... month = money

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,802 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Oakland Airport area safe?

The area immediately around the airport is safe enough, but a horrible, horrible location from which to try and sightsee San Francisco.

But just because the hotel might have a name like "Comfort Inn Oakland Airport" does not mean it is in the safe area around OAK. I would not want to be east of the 880 freeway.

The time to ask about hotels and locations is BEFORE you book not after.

And I am sorry, but the assertion that "Oakland is as safe as San Francisco" is patently absurd. Oakland is less than half the size of SF and has almost 40% more violent crime.

sfgate.com/crime/article/Crime-up-in-Oakland…

Yes there are some very nice areas in Oakland. Yes there are some nice restaurants in Oakland. I stay in Oakland for business when I need to be in Oakland, but I stay near Jack London Square or Downtown in the business core, but I never forget I am in the violent city in CA.

bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2013/06/04…

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,096 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Oakland Airport area safe?

Whether from Southern California or the east coast, it can be challenging to determine safety or be a good judge about safety when travelling. Those of us who live or have lived in San Francisco and Oakland want you to make the best decision, for you. There are certainly nicer parts in New Jersey, as well as, areas to avoid. That's true wherever you travel.

Personally, I would look at your budget and determine where & how you want to spend your money and your time while visiting SF. You're the best judge based on your experience travelling. You've gotten a lot of good advice & good suggestions regarding the visit to San Francisco, so it's up to you to decide. I hope you have a great trip!