We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Muir Woods - for visitors on crutches?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
14 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Muir Woods - for visitors on crutches?

I have some general questions about sightseeing in Muir Woods with a person who is temporarily disabled. Is Muir Woods accessible for visitors on crutches? Can any of the giant Redwoods be seen from the main trail? Does anyone know if wheelchairs are available to borrow or rent at the park? Is there handicapped parking set aside for cars with handicapped individuals? Would you consider it worth the visit if you are limited in mobility.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Muir Woods - for visitors on crutches?

yes once you get there the area is very flat and you can see the tall trees if you just step in beyond the fee area. Even from outside, one can see them. I doubt they rent wheelchairs. There is disabled parking available. These are not the Giant redwoods but the Coastal tall redwoods -- just to be clear. Giants are Sequoias in Yosemite and SEKI

It it a great place to see. Worth seeing ? That is hard to say Early AM without crowds Muir Woods is magical IMHO

As far as rentals I don't think so but the NPS page seems to be taking too long to come up

http://www.nps.gov/muwo/index.htm

Edited: 12 July 2013, 15:56
Boston...
Level Contributor
14 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Muir Woods - for visitors on crutches?

Thanks for your help. We will keep this in mind when heading out to Muir Woods.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,583 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Muir Woods - for visitors on crutches?

We normally recommend visitors get to the park before 9 am for best parking... I would think that would be doubly true of handicapped parking, as even the main parking lot gets full later in the day. Visitors have been known to have to park 1 to 2 miles down the road during peak times (obviously not an option in your case!)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
180 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Muir Woods - for visitors on crutches?

You don't indicate where you are coming from, so, just wanted to make sure you understand that you will need a permit to park in handicapped parking. If you park in the reserved, handicap spaces without a permit, you will be fined.

…ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr07.htm

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Muir Woods - for visitors on crutches?

The trail is relatively flat and all paved. The distance all the way to the back is probably close to a mile but you don't need to go to the end to enjoy the ambiance. Also, as I recall, there are also benches spaced throughout as well.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Muir Woods - for visitors on crutches?

If you do not have a handicapped placard, you can always pull to the front to drop passengers off. The trail is flat and mostly boardwalk so you should be fine.

Edited: 13 July 2013, 01:55
7. Re: Muir Woods - for visitors on crutches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2014, 05:18