We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip report - 3 weeks June/July 2013

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
82 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Family trip report - 3 weeks June/July 2013

Thanks to everyone on Trip Advisor that helped me plan our holiday. I hope my trip reports can help other indecisive travelers.

After 4 nights in wonderful New York we were off to San Francisco. We were on time for this flight however the plane ended up sitting on the tarmac for 3 hours due to bad weather, refuelling, and a backlog of flights.

When we arrived at our hotel The Argonaut at Fisherman's Wharf it was such a warm and welcoming hotel. Our room had heaps of space for our luggage, a nice outside view, opening window that was larger than it appears on the website, comfy beds.

We chose Fishermans Wharf area as we were only staying 2 nights and had tickets to Alcatraz, wanted to see Lombard Street, Cable Cars and the bridge, all of which are close by.

This hotel is more expensive than others in the area and we could not decide if the extra expense was worth it. Luckily, 3 weeks before our stay the prices dropped a bit (although still expensive) so we booked. And I am so glad we did, the service at the Argonaut was the best of our stay and we had good service everywhere.

Dinner was at an Italian restaurant across from the hotel. Cant remember the name but it was good.

The next day the weather was beautiful, we went out for breakfast and to Alcatraz (best to book weeks in advance....tickets were sold out the day we were there). Even though it was warm you still need a jacket, it was freezing on the boat and at Alcatraz.

We loved this tour, the view from the boat of San Francisco is so beautiful....such a charming city. The audio tour was so great, the kids also found it interesting. There was a presentation in the prison dining room and the presenter was a great story teller.

We walked around Fishermans Wharf, ate chowder for lunch, walked up to Lombard Street (more amazing views) and then to Ghardelli Square. We had planned on getting on a cable car to Union Square but the queues were huge, not sure if they are normally that long as I think there was a public transport strike that may have affected it. Also would love to have ridden a bike over the Golden Gate Bridge.

Dinner at the Blue Mermaid Chowder house in the hotel was great.

We loved San Francisco. It has so much character and charm. Again, the people were so nice, the food is really good especially the seafood, and there is a lot to see and do. We definitely needed more time in San Francisco, 2 more full days would have been good, one to bike over the bridge and another to go to Union Square and see more of the city.

Next stop, our last, is Honolulu....

Dylan's Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Vantigo Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Urban Trek USA
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Painted Ladies Tour Company
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Private Tours
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip report - 3 weeks June/July 2013

Thanks so much for a wonderful report.

The Argonaut is *by far* the nicest place on the Wharf and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I hope next time you visit San Francisco you'll have a bit more time to get out of "tourist central."

<<We had planned on getting on a cable car to Union Square but the queues were huge, not sure if they are normally that long as I think there was a public transport strike that may have affected it. >>

That transit strike had NO impact on SF transit. The lines for the cable cars in summer are usually long and we urge folks to use them early in the morning or later in the evening (they run until midnight) in order to avoid the lines.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,880 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip report - 3 weeks June/July 2013

We're glad you had such a great time. Hurry back!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,326 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip report - 3 weeks June/July 2013

come and see us again and thanks for your TR. could you please put this link in the first post on the SF forum -- the trip reports are all linked there Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
82 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family trip report - 3 weeks June/July 2013

Hi belomiser, how do I link the trip report??

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
792 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family trip report - 3 weeks June/July 2013

Hi, thanks for sharing your report!

Our family with 4 adults and 3 kids are planning our first trip for next April.

We are planning to stay 3 nights in San Fran - staying in Fishermans Wharf area, visiting Alcatraz, and general sightseeing of SF.

Any other tips for families that you can offer??? Our kids are ages 8, 10 & 12.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family trip report - 3 weeks June/July 2013

Hi, Loved your trip report - thanks for sharing. We are planning a similar trip for our family of 4 next year. Can you tell us how or where your booked your accommodation? Did you book direct with hotel, travel agent in Australia or through 3rd party such as Expedia? Thank you...

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
85 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family trip report - 3 weeks June/July 2013

Hi thanks for posting your trip. Aspects of it help with the planning of our family trip in Sept. You never know what someone is going to get out of something you say. Thanks.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,427 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family trip report - 3 weeks June/July 2013

2 days !

You had better start planning the next trip____there is so much more to see and do.

I've been following your trip reports and pleased it went well for you in wonderful San Francisco.

Thanks for the great report.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
82 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family trip report - 3 weeks June/July 2013

Becstar, I have a heap of tips, it depends on where you are going. Searching and asking questions on Trip advisor is the best tip....everyone helped me so much and our trip was fantastic.

Cocomo13, we booked our flights through flight centre. It frustrated me that if I wanted to make a change, it wasn't allowed. However had I of booked direct with the airlines the flights may have been changeable.

So, I booked our hotels mostly direct when I was happy with the hotel price. Although, I did book our NY hotel with expedia, they were good, just try not to book non-refundable if you are the kind to change your mind (like me). If you do need a refund I found them to be really good.

All other hotels were booked direct except our hotel in Honolulu through Blue Hawaii....they were fantastic and cheaper than the hotel direct.

I also got onto a website called Yapta and typed in the hotels I was interested in and was sent weekly emails with price fluctuations.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
82 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family trip report - 3 weeks June/July 2013

Oskar, I am already dreaming about our next trip and it includes bikes and the Golden Gate bridge!