We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safest neighborhood

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
safest neighborhood

Traveling amtrak into city arriving late evening. Which area would be the safest neighborhood for a solo traveler to stay?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,243 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safest neighborhood

When are you planning to be here? If you’re coming next week, you don’t have a lot of time to investigate hotel options.

If you’re arriving at the Ferry Building terminal, there are several hotels within a few steps, including the Vitale, Harbor Court, and Hyatt Regency. The Vitale and Harbor Court are fairly upscale. Other downtown hotel areas are Union Square or along the Market and Mission corridor to about 5th Street. Fisherman’s Wharf has plenty of hotels, but we usually suggest those more for families with kids or people who really enjoy a “touristy” atmosphere around them constantly.

However, don’t base your choice on proximity to Amtrak, because you can take a cab anywhere in the City.

We also need to know your price range, what you want to do, and how you plan to get around.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safest neighborhood

What kind of accommodation are you looking for? And what is your budget?

I'm curious as to where you are travelling from as San Francisco is relatively safe as big cities go. For someone who has lived here for decades (without great bodily harm), I'm always interested how people perceive big cities to be so dangerous.

AmTrak does not come into SF so you will debark the train at Emeryville and get an AmTrak bus into the city. There are a variety of stops for the bus. All of them have a great number of hotels within walking distance.

How long do you plan to be in SF?

-------------------------

I've been Tiara free for some time. I suppose I'm due.

Edited: 14 July 2013, 01:08
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,243 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safest neighborhood

We're tied, Sal. :)

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,008 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safest neighborhood

We can certainly steer you away from unsafe neighborhoods, but most hotels are in neighborhoods where you will be fine. There is a Top Question on the right side of this page that will help you understand the various hotel areas... see Hotels: Where to Stay When Visiting San Francisco (NEW July 2013). See which area sounds interesting, tell us what features you want in a hotel, and we can help you narrow down your choices. (As mentioned, if this is soon, choices may be limited!)

5. Re: safest neighborhood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 06:16