We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at the Omni - suggestions for breakfast?

Level Contributor
85 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at the Omni - suggestions for breakfast?

Hi,

We're staying in the Omni for a couple of nights in August (me, wife & 15yo daughter) and wondered if there are any suggestions on where we should be heading to for breakfast? Looking for good quality, reasonably priced (up to $20pp). Was maybe thinking of heading to Ferry Building?

Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,366 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at the Omni - suggestions for breakfast?

There is a recent post from a day or so ago about breakfast around the Hilton Chinatown / financial district area. The same answer applies to you. Ferry building is fine. Cafe de la presse, Mamas in North beach were the suggestions there and should apply to you

I was fascinated when I had my first Chinese breakfast of porridge and fried bread. It was a unique taste and if you are adventurous walk there and try it . I always try new things in the place I go to from German breakfasts to Japanese ones to when in Rome do as the Romans do and when you are a hop skip and jump from Chinatown. Try breakfast there

Hopefull you won't pay 20 pp for breakfast. most would think that is high. But if you want to splurge then a brunch at the Palace Hotel as suggested in the other post is a great idea - best brunch in SF on Sunday

Edited: 14 July 2013, 18:58
Level Contributor
85 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at the Omni - suggestions for breakfast?

Belomiser - thanks for the tips, I'll check out the other post. Have heard of mama's and the food sounds great. Never thought of going to china town so will consider this. Definitely don't want to pay as much as 20pp - cheaper would be best, I don't intend to make breakfast a big splurge!

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at the Omni - suggestions for breakfast?

You will be in the Financial District, and there are several places that serve the workers in your budget. One choice is the Fountain Cafe in the Crocker Galeria a few blocks over on Sutter (upstairs) that is really good.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 01:51
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,712 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at the Omni - suggestions for breakfast?

Let me know if interested in Chinese breakfast. You can eat in diim sum places by the cart. There are Hong Kong style cafes. There is northern, Shanghai, and Taiwan type places with warm soy milk and more of the fried bread belo talked about, and XLB (xiao lung bao) or otherwise known as pork/Shanghainese dumplings.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,712 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at the Omni - suggestions for breakfast?

Must it be sit down? You can also grab some pastry items in Chinatown and eat in Portsmouth Square with all the older Chinese gents playing Chinese cheese. Golden Gate Bakery has the best egg custards ( and other bakery items) and has a cult following.

www.is-the-golden-gate-bakery-open-today.com/

yelp.com/biz/golden-gate-bakery-san-francisco

Level Contributor
85 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at the Omni - suggestions for breakfast?

Chinita, thanks for all your suggestions. Like the sound of the golden gate and china town in general - looking at map I'll be pretty close to those areas so will certainly be worth a look around!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at the Omni - suggestions for breakfast?

If you are looking for a "Proper English Breakfast", i.e. cooked in three inches of grease, you may want to consider the Eagle Cafe. Great history and location and very hearty grub. From there you can feed your scraps to the sea gulls and sea lions and then walk out to look at the bridge.

Level Contributor
85 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at the Omni - suggestions for breakfast?

Lol@ugyved - you must have had some pretty ropey english breakfasts! I assure you not all are caked in grease! Eagle cafe looks like a good location but is probably a bit too far from the hotel.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at the Omni - suggestions for breakfast?

Connect it with your visit to Fishermen's Wharf and Pier 39 and you will be good to go. Public transit will take you right there. And you can ask to have your toast properly chilled!

Edited: 15 July 2013, 21:34
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,664 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying at the Omni - suggestions for breakfast?

I agree with Leeroy I don't think I'd go all the way to FW from the Omni just for a greasy spoon breakfast.

I've eaten at the Eagle and the location & food are about as described, but I don't think I'd go out of my way to eat there. If you're in the Wharf area, then yeah . . . I might go for it. I don't, however, think it's worth the trek from the Omni even if you in the mood for a greasy spoon breakfast.

There are lots of other options that are closer (and better?). Also, if you're willing to travel that far, I think you'd do better to head to a place in one of the SF neighborhoods than one at the Wharf. I'd say many of them are better & cheaper, but I confess they may not have the "Wharf ambiance & views" (which cuts both ways).

That's my $.02,

hlo