We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is drive from Union square to Redwoods?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
774 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
How is drive from Union square to Redwoods?

My questions are this:

a) How is the drive to the Redwoods in terms of traffic and road congestion from Union Square?

We were thinking of doing a tour to the Redwoods as we are staying at the Hotel Rex in Union Square, and a tour probably would be easier, but if we rent a car it would be less expensive and we could take our time.

It looks like from mapquest that the majority of the driving is on RT 101. I have never been to San Fran or L.A.,so I am wondering if the traffic and congestion is the same that I hear about in Los Angeles?

B) Any where else to stop and visit either going or coming back ? (we know about Sausalito).

Thanks

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is drive from Union square to Redwoods?

Are you referring to Redwood National Park, north of Eureka? If so, this may help:

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Once you get clear of the greater SF area, traffic is overall light.

How many days/nights do you have?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,685 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is drive from Union square to Redwoods?

which redwoods ? When ? what time ? Have you mapped it out on maps.google.com to the Redwoods ?

Stop for what and for how long ? What do you want to see ?

Edited: 16 July 2013, 22:18
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,326 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is drive from Union square to Redwoods?

You make this sound like you are trying to plan it as a day trip. I'm not sure if that's doable, I think its a four hour drive. As noted, there are redwoods in several locations in northern CA, and several parks are dedicated to them. In researching our upcoming trip, I found the Humbolt County website very useful.

http://www.redwoods.info

New Jersey
Level Contributor
774 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is drive from Union square to Redwoods?

Sorry, I didn't realize there were several Redwoods.

We would be going to the "Muir Redwoods".

We are in S.F. for three days and doing the Disney Museum, Alcatraz and whatever else sounds interesting.

Anything to stop and see to/ from Nuir redwoods? Doesn't matter, pretty much open to anything, that's why din't specify. Heard there are vinyards, not sure how close.

Thanks

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,100 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is drive from Union square to Redwoods?

Ok, your destination would be Muir Woods, on Highway One in Marin County which is reachable by crossing the Golden Gate Bridge on highway 101 and exiting at the Stinson Beach exit. Go early with your car to avoid crowded parking situations. Check the Top Questions on these pages upper right on a non mobile device for much more information on Muir Woods. Time to buy a SF guidebook ?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,685 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is drive from Union square to Redwoods?

Muir Woods, Mt Tam Hikes, Tiburon, Stinson Beach, are in the vicinity. One has to get there on weekends before 9 to avoid crowds and parking issues

As mentioned, time to get a guide book. You can go north to Napa and Sonoma if you want.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
774 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How is drive from Union square to Redwoods?

Thank you for all the help!

I wish we were going two weeks later, I would have loved to catch a 49ers game (even though I'm not a 49ers fan, I love football)

California
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How is drive from Union square to Redwoods?

There are small group tours of San Francisco that include a city tour, a visit to Muir Woods and Sausalito. After visiting Sausalito you will have the option of taking the ferry across the bay back to San Francisco. Muir Woods is gorgeous and a great short trip from San Francisco.

I don't like driving around Union Square. I have done it several times and seem to keep going in circles trying to find my way.

When we do rent a car at Union Square (be sure to set this up in advance), they will give directions to the freeway and how to get back. We usually do this on a Saturday or Sunday morning so there is less traffic and tourists to deal with.

Be sure to take a walking tour of San Francisco from Union Square to Grant Avenue, through Chinatown to Columbus and North Beach and then on to Fisherman's Wharf. Check out the route on the map. It leads you around rather than over SF's famous hills.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How is drive from Union square to Redwoods?

Some context on redwoods tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c195829/Califo…

10. Re: How is drive from Union square to Redwoods?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 06:18