We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best roads to travel and good ideas.

kings mountain...
2 posts
Save Topic
best roads to travel and good ideas.

We are arriving on July 1st traveling from sf airport to monterey. We have seen alot of good ideas on how to go this route. we are wanting to leave early like 6 or 7 on the morning of the 3rd to travel from monterey back. We had thought about traveling inland a little bit to bypass SF and go to napa valley. I had seen mention about a redwood forrest this way instead of trying muir woods on our way back into SF later in the day. we have to have the rental car back into the SF airport by 6 that same day. Is this feasible? Or are there sugesstions? We would like to stop somewhere for breakfast and maybe a late lunch in napa valley.we are very flexible about the trip back. Also, is returning the car back to the airport a good idea or any other sugestions? I really don't know about drving into SF on that Monday before the 4th to return the car during peak driving times.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
877 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best roads to travel and good ideas.

The redwoods are in the Santa Cruz mountains so you would have to travel along the coast till you get to hwy 84, then go inland, but still west of 280. Seeing the redwoods and going to Napa would be a bit much for us, because we have kids and I do not remember my nrg level before that, but have a feeling it would still be a bit much.

Peak travel time is from 0600 till about 8:30 going north so there will be traffic.

get directions from others on how to go from redwoods and then to napa. I just know what roads to turn on from Hwy 84, but not the names.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best roads to travel and good ideas.

You will have a hard time bypassing San Francisco to get to the Napa Valley and see redwoods at the same time.

There is a redwood grove in Santa Cruz. Take Hwy. 1 to Santa Cruz and then Hwy 9 just a few miles to Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park.

Continue on Hwy 9 to the town of Felton...just up the road.... and take Mt. Hermon Road over to Scotts Valley and get on Hwy 17. After Los Gatos, take Hwy 85 north, then watch for Hwy 280. Take this into the City then watch for the Golden Gate Bridge signs. You will be doing a little city driving, but it is 19th Avenue, four lane divided, with timed stop lights. No hassle. Hwy 280 itself is 8 lane divided freeway with not as much traffic as Hwy 101.

After the Golden Gate Bridge you will be on Hwy 101. After San Rafael watch for the Hwy 37 turnoff. I believe it says 'Sonoma, Napa', but it may also say 'Vallejo'. You will after awhile come to an intersection with Hwy 121. Take this and follow the signs to Napa.

t is the one I believe the other poster Santa Cruz is about an hour from Monterey and 2 hours or so from San Francisco. Then add another hour for Napa.

You might want to stop in Felton or Scotts Valley for breakfast, after you have seen the trees.

There is another grove which you could visit on the way to the City, but it means going further on Highway 9 and staying on that to Saratoga, then connecting with 280 and it would be slower. That would be Big Basin State Park.

The other poster may have been recommending Portola State Park. I don't know about the redwoods there, but I believe it would delay your trip to Napa more than the above, since Hwy 84 is somewhat6 winding and fairly long. I will have to try it sometime.

The return of the car to the airport should not be a hassle. Just retrace your steps to get back on Hwy 280 and then watch for the Hwy 380 exit, which will whisk you over to Hwy 101 just north of the airport. Now that all of the rental agencies are in one building and there is a tram to get you to the airport or BART, it is much easier.

Relax, and have fun......and a safe trip.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: best roads to travel and good ideas.

colonydrive said: " from sf airport to monterey"

Regardless of the route you take, Monterey is farther than a hundred miles from The Airport. Muir Woods is about thirty miles from The Airport, in the opposite direction, and Napa is even farther.

One of my favorite stands of redwoods is just past Bonny Doon on the way to Pine Flat Road. The road is narrow, sinuous, and the trees are right up to it. There's very little light, traffic and very few people. You can find a place to pull the car over to walk on the extremely soft terrain to inhale all the oxygen and lovelienss that surrounds you. Regardless of time of day or cloud cover, it's always dark in there. Taking that route is included as an option from Davenport in the

DRIVING DIRECTIONS -- San Francisco to: Pacifica-Half Moon Bay-Santa Cruz-Monterey/Carmel geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/DriveDir.html

4. Re: best roads to travel and good ideas.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 00:20