We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from the ferry building

Surrey
Level Contributor
150 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Transport from the ferry building

We shall be three adults with 2 large suitcases. We arrive on the Amtrak thruway. Which is the best way to reach 14th st just off Market St.

In panic mode...have I thought of everything before we leave on our big trip.

Huge thanks as always.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,243 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from the ferry building

Taxi. See if you can get Amtrak to switch your bus destination to the Hyatt Regency (which isn't that far from the Ferry Building, but with 2 large suitcases, it's easier to let the bus take you there rather than walk). There is a cab stand there where you can get a cab to 14th St. (probably $10-15, depending on time of day). Otherwise, see if Amtrak has a stop close enough to walk to 14th St. (although I doubt it). Other stops may be marginally closer to your destination, but getting a cab will be harder.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from the ferry building

14th Street just off Market??

I hate to bring this up but where are you staying?

Surrey
Level Contributor
150 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from the ferry building

Thank you for that. Only a few days left before we start.

Surrey
Level Contributor
150 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from the ferry building

635 14th st. If that is any help.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from the ferry building

I was concerned as there is not much in the way of hotels/motels in this area. I'm assuming this is a vacation rental?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from the ferry building

If you want - as long as you are arriving before 4pm, you could also walk across the street to the Embarcadero subway stop - go down to the Muni level via the elevator and take the subway to Church Street Station. Then take the elevator up and walk the block to your vacation rental. ($2/person)

After 4pm that direction of the subway gets crowded, so I wouldn't suggest it after that, but especially in the morning, that direction is almost deserted.

Any K, L, or M - line will get you there. J can get you there as well, but it stops above ground and means there would be steps to deal with.

Otherwise, the cab from the Ferry Building would be about $15 with tip.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,061 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport from the ferry building

if you are staying in the city for a few days, you can pick up Muni Passports at the Embarcadero station or in the Ferry Building transit desk before you get to the station and that will cover your MUNI rides mentioned by SFI -- whether you use them for the initial ride with bags or not, either place will be convenient to pick them up.

Surrey
Level Contributor
150 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport from the ferry building

Thank you. A couple more days at work and then we're on our way.

Surrey
Level Contributor
150 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport from the ferry building

Thanks for your help. Does the getting busy after 4pm also happen on a Saturday?

Surrey
Level Contributor
150 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport from the ferry building

That's good to know. Thank you.