We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Fran to LA

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
San Fran to LA

Traveling from SF to LA and have 1 overnight stop in Monteray (SAT). Will be doing the aquarium in the morning and then heading out (SUN). Where would be a logical stop where we could get into LA Monday with a 3-4 hour drive. Any "not miss" spots on the way down? Thanks

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Fran to LA

Santa Barbara would be my suggestion, from Monterey to Big Sur to Santa Barbara. Be sure to visit Point Lobos on Sat also.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,761 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Fran to LA

Oops wrong forum please go to the California forum and read the 4 top questions. They are the must reads for anyone new to Ca. Welcome to TA forums.

Please ask us any SF question but do check the Top questions before you post

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,295 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Fran to LA

Hi gracieeh, and welcome to TripAdvisor forums.

This is the forum about visiting the fabulous city of San Francisco (abbreviated SF.) For information about driving in the state and/or itinerary planning, the California state forum page is better. On that page you'll find several "Top Questions" about this drive from SF to L.A. on Hwy 1. At least two of the articles have details about the numerous places you might want to stop on the way as well as descriptions of the towns for your Sunday overnight stop.

I recommend you read the relevant Top Q on the CA page, then repost there.

California: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor…

Note: the Top Questions are on the right side of the page on the full TripAdvisor website, not the app.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,305 posts
5,994 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Fran to LA

The 2 cities I would recommend are

1) Pismo Beach (it will be 4 hours into LA area the next)

2) Santa Barbara (it will be 2 hours or less into LA the next day).

Both are fun seaside places with Santa Barbara being a bit more upscale.

http://www.pismobeach.org/

http://www.santabarbaraca.com/visitor-info/

Besides looking at the California level as mentioned above, you might also want to look at those two city forums.

Have fun.....its a lovely coastal drive with Big Sur, Hearst Castle, Moonstone beach at Cambria, Morro Rock, the beaches just north of Santa Barbara being highlights -and if you love wine the Paso Robles area and Santa Barbara has lots of possibiltiies.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Fran to LA

Santa Barbara is the logical choice. 3-3.5 hours from Los Angeles.

But the drive on Sunday could be packed with wonderful things, there are many many sights to see between Monterey and Santa Barbara.

Big Sur, Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, Garrapata State Beach and especially Point Lobos come to mind. There are a lot of fine painters in the Monterey/Carmel area and you tend to see plein air painting by really top notch painters at some of these places (and their art is on display most available in Carmel - I would miss never a walk around the side streets of Carmel if I was in the area). Cambria (with or without elephant seal stop - it's up to you) is worth a look (and a walk on the beach and a good place to gas up if you need to).

This is probably going to fill your day, and from Cambria to SB you'll be trying to freeway fly and make good time.

Otherwise, if you didn't do any or all of the above, you still would have Los Olivos and Solvang to explore (I don't think you have time for it though).

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,725 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Fran to LA

I wouldn't drive any further than Pismo Beach after Monterey. The 90 miles of coastline between Carmel and San Simeon is the most scenic part of the entire coast and you will want to pull over several times to take in the views. Plus, you'll be on roadway that sits hundreds of feet above the ocean with sheer drop offs and several really tight hairpin turns. It's a wonderful drive, but can be exhausting. I feel trying to get as far south as Santa Barbara is pushing it. Yes, it can be done, but you'll feel fried by the time you get there... which will likely be late in the evening.

7. Re: San Fran to LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 05:18