We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat after Alcatraz night tour?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
85 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Where to eat after Alcatraz night tour?

We've booked a night tour of Alcatraz on thurs 8th August, which I believe should get us back to the pier around 8:30pm.

Would appreciate some suggestions on where to eat in the area afterwards - preference would probably be Italian as it seems we'll be close to north beach area? I know the FW area is not renowned for good quality food!

Don't want anything too fancy - just decent quality for 2adults & a teen.

Thanks

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat after Alcatraz night tour?

You'll be back a lot later than 8:30. During Daylight Savings Time the night boats LEAVE Alcatraz at 8:40 and 9:25 -- you'll get back about 20 minutes after that.

The issue becomes finding a place that is still open by the time you get back. Pier 23 takes reservations until 9:30 and is fairly close to the Alcatraz Pier. It's not fancy but OK. The Pub at Ghirardelli is open very late.

Where are you staying? There are a few late night spots but perhaps better to make suggestions for something near your hotel.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,250 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat after Alcatraz night tour?

You can look at www.yelp.com and Italian restaurants in North Beach open late and you should have a few options

Level Contributor
85 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat after Alcatraz night tour?

Ah, didn't realise it'd be as late as that! We're staying at the omni in the financial district - it's looking like we'd be better heading back towards hotel and getting something nearby.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat after Alcatraz night tour?

Bix on Gold St. (near Montgomery and Washington) or E'Tutto Qua at Broadway and Columbus are my two late night suggestions not too far from the Omni.

I was going to suggest Globe until I saw their awful Health Dept. score.

Edited: 28 July 2013, 20:58
Level Contributor
85 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to eat after Alcatraz night tour?

Sal - many thanks for the suggestions, will check out the places you suggest. Will have to plan a late lunch so we can have a late dinner!!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to eat after Alcatraz night tour?

Leeroy, you have a message.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,491 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to eat after Alcatraz night tour?

And you don't want anybody else reading this thread to have te benefit of your "wisdom"/comments?

Given OP's time issues, I'm of two minds:

1. Go ahead and eat around FW, just find something that is still going to be open that late and realize you won't get the best food and will tend to overpay for what you get. Might be the safest bet.

2. Do some additional research for places that will be open later in the general area of your hotel. Realize that (generally) they won't be that close (places in the area around the Omni (Financial District) tend to close earlier as they cater to workers rather than tourists and "non-worker" locals). That said, there will be a few places open later and a few extra minutes walking and/or on MUNI does extend the "range" into North Beach, Chinatown, Union Square, SOMA, etc. which will add more places.

If you decide to go with something in this last batch I do suggest you be efficient in getting there (cab rather than MUNI?) and realize you may be one if the last tables, so be courteous to the staff and plan on being "efficient" in ordering & eating. Or, in a worst case, realize that they might close a little bit early and you might have to go with a "Plan B."

How late are Tadich Grill and/or Sotto Mare open?

That's my $.02,

hlo

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to eat after Alcatraz night tour?

Bix is open until 10 (and accepts a 10PM reservation). E' Tutto Quo until 11.

Tadich's and Sotto Mare only until 9:30.

(I did a Yelp Search on "Late Dining" before coming up with those two.)

Another option which is just a bit over 2 blocks from the Omni is Café Claude in Claude Lane (just on the other side of Kearney) -- they too take a 10PM reservation.

But I agree with hlo ... if you look like you're the last ones there, don't dally too long.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 00:21
9. Re: Where to eat after Alcatraz night tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 05:17