We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calaveras SP vs. Muir Woods, with kids?

MD
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Calaveras SP vs. Muir Woods, with kids?

We will be in Murphys and San Francisco during an upcoming trip and big trees are on our list! We have children ages 6 and 4, so we're wondering whether Calaveras State Park or Muir Wods would be better to visit. Obviously the sequoias in Calaveras are an attraction on their own, but we have to consider how accessible they are from the parking areas (we're certainly capable of 2 mi. round trip before the complaints start). Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
22,336 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calaveras SP vs. Muir Woods, with kids?

Not many folks get a chance to go to Calaveras so kudos in the first place! If I recall correctly, the nature trail in the North Grove is pretty easily accessible from parking lot. That fallen and hallowed tree on the park homepage is part of that trail. I remember lots of kids climbing all over that. It will definitely be much much less crowded than Muir Woods.

You do seem to understand they are 2 different types of big trees. Sequoias (Calaveras) are big width wise while coast redwoods (Muir) are tall. Both worthy of visiting but you shouldn't miss Calaveras if you have the chance. Are you going anywhere else with big trees? (Yosemite, Sequoia Kings).

Edited: 29 July 2013, 14:58
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,219 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calaveras SP vs. Muir Woods, with kids?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c195829/Califo… Is an article on Coastal Redwoods

As Chinita mentioned, they are different but do see the Calaveras state park

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calaveras SP vs. Muir Woods, with kids?

Comparison of Sierra and Coastal redwoods:

nps.gov/history/…sec12.htm

nps.gov/history/…sec10.htm

Former known for bulk, latter for height. You should enjoy either. Or both!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,567 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calaveras SP vs. Muir Woods, with kids?

I'd see both if you can :-) But if I had to chose one or the other, I'd go for the sequoias at Calaveras Big Trees. The reason being that the coastal redwoods are much more accessible (close to SF), so take advantage of being up in the mountains to see the giant sequoias.

Where else are you going on your trip? Do you happen to be going to Santa Cruz or Monterey? There are coastal redwood groves en route there as well.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,219 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calaveras SP vs. Muir Woods, with kids?

kids are different for sure but I would think that a 6 and a 4 year old would be fine visiting one park with big trees and if you were to go to another park with more big trees -- I am sure our kids at that age would have said -- more big trees ? really ? not again!!!

Then you can explain to them in detail the difference between the two parks via all the links below and then they will say - wow that was such a great explanation we are dying to see both trees!!!

LOL

Kiddin' aside, unless you get to Muir by 9am which would mean dragging kids out of bed early, on a weekend, you will have to park far and walk a lot just to get to the park. Weekdays is a bit better but the tourist buses all get there after 9.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 16:35
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
22,336 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calaveras SP vs. Muir Woods, with kids?

Agree with November there are less crowded places to see coastal redwoods.

belo - 4 and 6 year olds yea.. won't care to know the difference. : ) It'd be more like, "look ma... I am in a tree!" , "Look ma, banana slugs!" I am a huge fan of learning disguised as fun (thanks Gilroy Gardens!).

Edited: 29 July 2013, 17:02
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,567 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calaveras SP vs. Muir Woods, with kids?

"I am sure our kids at that age would have said -- more big trees ? really ? not again!!!"

LOL. And at that age, I would have said "yay, we get to spend more time running around in the woods!!!" IAnd looking for banana slugs is an excellent pastime for small children :-)

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
22,336 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calaveras SP vs. Muir Woods, with kids?

... and making fairy houses too... Nothing wrong with getting a little dirt under the fingernails. : )

kaboom.org/blog/bright_ideas_build_fairy_hou…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,219 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calaveras SP vs. Muir Woods, with kids?

The OP's profile says MD ? Maryland? Perhaps then the kids will be up bright and early at 6am PDT which would be 9 in the MD time zone. It may be the parents who may want to sleep in while the kids are yearning to look for slugs and ....

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Calaveras SP vs. Muir Woods, with kids?

Speaking of banana slugs, maybe a t-shirt from UC Santa Cruz: http://www.ucsc.edu/about/mascot.html