We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

no overhead cables = cable car; overhead cables = streetcar

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,655 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
no overhead cables = cable car; overhead cables = streetcar

…sfgate.com/stew/…

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,378 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: no overhead cables = cable car; overhead cables = streetcar

Fun article. That escalator thing - geez, can we have some world-wide remedial education on that? Please.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: no overhead cables = cable car; overhead cables = streetcar

Wonderful - and that stand on the right escalator rule also applies to MUNI.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,492 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: no overhead cables = cable car; overhead cables = streetcar

I have a feeling that Sal wrote some of it. Come on Sal ? Admit it

Now does anyone have tickets to Alcatraz for tomorrow ? Where can i find them ?

Sorry what is MUNI ?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,910 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: no overhead cables = cable car; overhead cables = streetcar

LOL... Perhaps this needs a permalink as well?

Many airports and other places have signs about staying on the right for escalators and people mover things.

I am not sure how I feel all the Segway and Go-Cart tours all over the city. People seem to love them, but I have never had the urge to join one in other cities with these. Screams "TOURISTS" too much.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,601 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: no overhead cables = cable car; overhead cables = streetcar

The standing on the left thing drives me crazy. I would've thought many people would've picked up the stand on the right rule from people movers that have announcements and signs everywhere. Heck, even noticing the 10 or twenty people backed up behind you, glaring at you. ;-) We're pretty polite about it here. If you did that on the Tube in London, I swear you'd be run down. They go up and down the escalators and through the little twisty passages of the subway at a dead run there, I swear it. :-)

They forgot "blocking the sidewalk to gawk at something," though I guess it's similar to the blocking the sidewalk with your map. I totally understand needing to stop and look at a map or look in a window, but remember there are other people around who want to use the sidewalk, too. Move to the side and gawk or look at maps all you want as long as you're out of the way a bit.

They totally forgot the "standing in the center of the street stopping traffic at a green light while taking a photo." I have seen this a number of times and it always seems like the person has to have quite the nerve to pull this tactic, but it does happen.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: no overhead cables = cable car; overhead cables = streetcar

I had a bet with myself as to who would post that link. I lost :(

Of course I didn't write it ... I think the Go Cars look like a blast. But no, I wouldn't drive one around east of Van Ness either. I used to think the Segways were dorky looking but the ones in GG Park do look like fun.

The whole "stand on right thing" ... I think we're much more tolerant than other cities. As holodan points out, in London they'll just boot you down the escalator if you get in the way. It's rather amusing. Brit's will politely queue up for hours but, whoa Nelly, stand on the wrong side and you're dead meat.

And yep, standing in the middle of the street to take a picture (Columbus for the snap of the Pyramid is a big one ... c'mon people it's a major thoroughfare) is basically cruising for a bruising.

The whole "cable car" "tram" "trolley" thing I totally get. We are, after all, the only city in the world with cable cars. It's no wonder people aren't familiar with the term.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: no overhead cables = cable car; overhead cables = streetcar

Last time I was in the city, I arrived at Powell & Market at ~10PM and found myself directly in front of a cable car with no lines. Hopped on with my suitcase and backpack and handed the conductor a fiver. "It's six dollars" he said. "Oh it's six dollars now?" I responded. "Yeah but don't worry about it", he said. Rode to the top of Nob Hill and got off at California for the Mark Hopkins.

Edited: 30 July 2013, 01:37
San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: no overhead cables = cable car; overhead cables = streetcar

Bayatuning-- another reason to recommend riding the cable cars late at night!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,594 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: no overhead cables = cable car; overhead cables = streetcar

>> If you did that on the Tube in London, I swear you'd be run down.<<

On my first visit to London, we had finished a walking tour and were standing on an escalator (on the right) exiting the Tube station. Our tour guide was in front of us, turn around, sighed, and said, "Stand on the left!" (the "you idiots" was implied in the tone.....) (That guide was awesome, he looked like Ronald Coleman... trench coat and all!)

My shorthand for the cable/street explanation is: overhead wires + rails = street car; overhead wires + tires = bus; no overhead = cable car.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: no overhead cables = cable car; overhead cables = streetcar

"...kitschy carriage of yesteryear..."

Oi, one of those kitchy carriages is from Melbourne, but it is far better maintained than its workaday brothers and sisters down here.

As to the escalator, we stand on the left - although there are plenty of numpties that insist on standing on both. You know, couples that seemingly can't drop hands and stand single file, they can't ALL be visitors from across the pond; some of them are just bog-standard cretins. Sorry, rant over, but I do fantasise about giving them a good hard shove on the down escalator in the hope they will remember next time.