We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking on a friday and public transporting it into SF?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Parking on a friday and public transporting it into SF?

Hi everyone

I have read through lots of threads on here to try and work this out but anyway we are visiting SF on a friday, sat and sunday and it seems like the weekend parking is easier than the friday- we plan to do the chinatown validated parking on the sat or sunday and the ocean beach and shuttle for golden gate park on the saturday.

But on the friday we leave Montara down the coast in the morning for our first day in the city- we stay in Marin on that friday and sat evening- up at the hostel so apparently bus service not great on the friday...

my question is where would it be best to park up for the day- should we bart it in from Daly city but then have to head back there in the eve to then drive up to marin or is there a bart station over in marin we can leave the car at and travel in from after travelling from montara?

I am not sure if we can public transport it from ocean beach on a friday- it seems the shuttle only runs on a weekend. We will have two lightweight strollers and will be ready to get on and off trams/walk/etc to get about for our 3 days but just wondering where we should leave the car if we need to get over the bridge in the evening to marin.

Any tips welcomed..thanks in advance.So excited to visit your beautiful city.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking on a friday and public transporting it into SF?

It isn't clear where exactly you will be visiting on Saturday - just Golden Gate park? If so, you can park for 4 hours there free (they may chalk your tires). If you come early to the park, I'm pretty sure you can find a good spot. Then move on to your next destination in Golden Gate Park (a little more challenging parking later in the day on a weekend).

Where else will you want to go Saturday? The drive from Montara to Golden Gate is pretty direct and easy.

There is no BART to Marin County at all. You will need to drive over to the Marin hostel with your car. The direction you will be going, north, will have no toll. If you drive back south over the G. G. Bridge, you will need to prepay the toll online, or get a bill in the mail for it later.

A few more details about your destinations will help us with all your transportation needs. Seems like this is a good trip for driving, as you've laid it out so far.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 00:13
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,828 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking on a friday and public transporting it into SF?

sorry I am so confused. I presume you are driving up from LA and hence have a car. On Friday, take the car into the city and park where you are going. With kids don't make it harder than it is.

You mean you leave Montara UP the coast to the city ?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking on a friday and public transporting it into SF?

better to just park in the city for friday and maybe all 3 days if you have strollers, etc. all weekends look pretty good but if you are coming august 9, 10, 11 there is a huge festival in golden gate park. http://www.sfoutsidelands.com/home/

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking on a friday and public transporting it into SF?

Thanks so much...had no idea about the festival.so useful to know.

We are on montara on Thursday so could Bart it from dalycity that day and then on Friday visit family in San Mateo after leaving montara and then make our way to Marin on the Friday evening so avoid sf that day qnd thus the parking difficulties. Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge on the Friday.....maybe at 4 to avoid traffic and give us that evening in Marin...Sausalito? Is that sensible?

Then I guess we car it over to ocean beach in the am followed by china town parking in the pm for the Saturday, seei g golden gate park in the am followed by fisherman,s wharfe in the pm. So that just leaves Thursday to play with.......it was suggested it is easier to leave the car in dalycity and public transport it in from there so maybe we do that on Thursday and see a couple of other areas of the city...not sure where..maybe the children's creativity centre. Then Sunday we leave Sausalito for LA...via Oakland and the Chabo space centre and maybe the science cent in Berkley.

Excuse I pad is being uncooperative so ignore typos please.

Is there an all day parking anywhere we could go to easily from montara on the Thursday rather than leaving the car at dalycity for the day and batting it in? Everyone seems to suggest it costs a fortune to park.

So we have all day Thursday or Friday and then all day Saturday in SF then home on Sunday via Oakland area.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking on a friday and public transporting it into SF?

Yes sorry I meant we are down the coast in Montara. Wed and Thursday nights

We will drive up the coast to SF to get to SF or to Marin area on the Friday evening where we stay for two nights after two nights in montara. Home to LA on the Sunday.

Happy to public transport it once we have parked up for the day in SF. Just do not want to spend 30 40 bucks on parking and then public transport on top of that.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking on a friday and public transporting it into SF?

We are there the weekend of the music festival......should we avoid golden gate on that weekend then....maybe see golden gate stuff on the Thursday instead? Parking is going to be awful I imagine even at ocean beach if there is a sold out music festival!! So useful to know...that just be why we found it hard to get accommodation......

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking on a friday and public transporting it into SF?

Bellomiser

I am going to put that on my fridge.

With kids don,t make it harder than it is.

So true.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking on a friday and public transporting it into SF?

probably b/c SF is such a wonderful place to visit :) it may have to do with the america's cup races.

9th 1:15 Louis Vuitton Cup Semifinal races, 7:05 Giants game, GGP festival Noon-10pm

10th 1:15 Louis Vuitton Cup Semifinal races, 7:05 Giants game, GGP festival Noon-10pm

11th 1:05 Giants game, 2pm Stern Grove festival - free on 19th Ave., GGP festival Noon-9:30pm

it's up to you if you want to avoid GGP on the weekend.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 01:57
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,828 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking on a friday and public transporting it into SF?

Good point Rachel -- I would avoid GGP on those 3 days unless you want to attend the festival. Parking, buses, the whole area will be full.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking on a friday and public transporting it into SF?

Oh crikey something else going on......ok so we will hit ggp on the thursday and just need to find somewhere to park or if you think this will be hard we bart it in from dalycity....