We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in San Francisco - Help!

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Topic
2 days in San Francisco - Help!

Hi everyone!

I will be in San Francisco area from 8/13/13-8/15/13, staying in Oakland because San Francisco hotels are just WAY too expensive. The hotel is near the BART that will drop us off in the San Francisco financial district, I wanted to know if it will be too much trouble to get from there to Fisherman's Warf? Also, we are thinking of renting bikes for the day and just biking everywhere, is this doable? thoughts and tips are appreciated.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in San Francisco - Help!

all your questions can me answered if you can view the Top questions about San Francisco on the right---> there is a wealth of info on bikes. <<doable>>, hmmm, feasible probably. (sorry. ramblilngsal that was for you - now i'm going to be more aware :))

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in San Francisco - Help!

OK, as long as your realize taking BART into the city every day is the same as taking the Metro Blue Line to downtown LA every day. Which means at the end of the night you'll have to pack it up and get back on the BART before you miss your last ride out of the city.

Wouldn't recommend renting a bike and biking EVERYWHERE - maybe just on the Golden Gate Bridge. Biking tends to be very intense in the city, lots of hills and aggressive fellow bikers and cars.

In terms of seeing the sights, San Francisco has a great public transportation system and you can use MUNI to get around. These articles in the TOP QUESTIONS section on the right side will get you started (best for you to do research and familiarize yourself now than to be lost later):

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c190364/San-Fr…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c194605/San-Fr…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c131893/San-Fr…

From your research, you will see that it is easy to get to Fisherman's Wharf from the Embarcadero BART station. Just hop on an F-line street car to the Wharves nearby the BART exit above ground. Don't forget to check out the Ferry Building before you board!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,009 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in San Francisco - Help!

At which hotel are you staying? Definitely doable/feasible (watch out for the grammar police here) if you plan properly. You should be aware though that there is a threat of a BART strike... deadline tomorrow Aug 1 for the union to decide. It may affect your travels into SF significantly. Stay tuned...

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,047 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in San Francisco - Help!

Yeah BART strike can throw a heavy wrench into your plans.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in San Francisco - Help!

if there is a BART strike where we can't take it we have a car, I wanted to avoid driving into the city but we can if we have to, what's the parking rates like? do you know any cheap parking garages during the week? We are staying at the Clarion Hotel Downtown Oakland City Center. We're on a budget coming from Lake Tahoe.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 20:49
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,009 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days in San Francisco - Help!

Parking will be expensive and you will be competing with all the commuters from Oakland into SF for the spots. Usually $25-30 per day depending on where. But some lots on the Embarcadero were charging $45 during the brief strike not long ago. You also have to pay Bay Bridge toll going into SF. But depending on how many of you, buses or ferry may also be options.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days in San Francisco - Help!

http://sanfrancisco.bestparking.com/

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 days in San Francisco - Help!

I am able to cancel my reservation if it is too difficult, but I would like to know what my options might be if we couldn't take the BART. How would I get a a ferry from my hotel? or bus ride? it's two of us staying at The Clarion Hotel Downtown Oakland City Center.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,009 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 days in San Francisco - Help!

Keep your eyes peeled on KTVU

ktvu.com/news/…

Your options will be AC Transit buses into the temporary transit center downtown or ferry from ? Jack London Square and probably Alameda. They will likely increase service but it will be touch and go.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 days in San Francisco - Help!

Have you looked at all the budget and motel options. Listed on the right side TQs or the Top 10 questions link on the 3rd post of the Sf forum. With 2 days of vacation, make this a vacation and not a commuting trip.