We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area to stay with a baby?

London
Level Contributor
44 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
What area to stay with a baby?

Hi

Would appreciate some advice on what area to stay with a baby. We intend to hire an apartment and I want to be close to places where I can go for a wander with the baby (and ideally not too hilly for pushing the buggy). My husband is working near AT&T park but he can easily jump in a cab each day. His PA has recommended SoMa - is this a good plan or are there any other areas we should be looking. Thanks

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What area to stay with a baby?

While SoMa is close to AT&T and relatively flat, the shops and restaurants are somewhat spread out. And the blocks are a lot longer than those north of Market. Further, depending where you are it's got a high rise, downtown vibe.

I would suggest either the Marina (very flat) or Inner Sunset (fairly flat) for areas with a much higher concentration of shops and restaurants. Additionally both are very close to open park space -- the Marina Green, Crissy Field and the Great Meadow at Fort Mason are near the Marina and Golden Gate Park is close to the Inner Sunset.

Both are on Muni lines that go to AT&T as well, if hub wants to really live like a local.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What area to stay with a baby?

I can think of three places. There’s the Marina, and then on the other hand there’s always the Marina; or if neither of them suits, I’d suggest the Marina. It is flat. There are lovely as well as convenient shops. It is, of course, safe, pleasant, and blessed with nice parks.

Obviously, San Franciscans living all over have babies making out just fine. Noe Valley is San Franciscanese for “got babies” or maybe it could be slang for “got hills.” But if you have a wide-open choice with a single determining attribute: where would be nice for mom and little one during the day, I don’t see how it takes much dithering - pick the Marina.

Edited: 03 August 2013, 21:35
nottingham
Level Contributor
263 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What area to stay with a baby?

Def the Marina or Cow Hollow area. I worked as a nanny in this area and it was great place to be. Some hills but you soon get used to them.

London
Level Contributor
44 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What area to stay with a baby?

Thanks for all the advice - the Marina sounds like a good shout so I'll have a look in that area.

Also, is public transport accessible with a buggy i.e. the bus and tram? And am I able to flag down and use a cab (I live in London so used to black cab etiquette). Thanks

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What area to stay with a baby?

Public transit is accessible with a collapsible stroller. You do not have to remove your child from the stroller and you can request the use of the handicapped lift. However, be aware of your surroundings and if the bus is really crowded it would be better, if you can maneuver it, to fold the stroller up. If your child is old enough for an umbrella stroller, those are very convenient on transit.

The only exception is that strollers are NOT allowed on the cable cars. Large step up and generally just too crowded.

Cabs can be hailed on city streets. They are easy to find downtown, less so in the neighborhoods. You can also call for one.

6. Re: What area to stay with a baby?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 05:17