We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco or New York

St. John's
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco or New York

My boyfriend and I are trying to planning a trip to celebrate the end of our undergrad in April 2014. We're thinking of going to either San Francisco or New York City for five to seven days. We'll be flying from either Ottawa or Toronto. We're wondering what would be a better option considering we'll be on a bit of a budget. We'll mainly want to explore either city, go to some museums, maybe a broadway show or two, etc. We definitely would like a relaxing trip so we're leaning more towards San Francisco because of the scenary. But it's our last trip before entering the workforce as professional social workers so we're definitely interested in a bit of nightlife as well.. any suggestions you have would be great!

Edited: 06 August 2013, 14:37
Marrakech Magic Theater
Comedy Clubs, Performances
Edible Excursions
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours
Oasis
Bars & Clubs
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,366 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco or New York

They are two different cities so you are comparing Apples and Oranges You are much closer to NYC from your home area than to SF so from an airfare perspective, NYC would be better. Overall NYC is more expensive that SF but with planning you may be able to find something reasonable. Broadway is NYC is very different from Broadway in SF and while we do have our productions, they start there. NYC never sleeps.

If you want to just have non stop excitement, go to NYC but if you want a great city which is more laid back come to SF.

You can do a hotel +air comparison and then decide but you cannot go wrong.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco or New York

I agree with belomiser, they are two different cities.

New York wins for number and quality of museums, theater and sheer numbers of things to do. New York and the area around it is much more populous.

San Francisco has a great natural setting, hiking and other things very nearby. It has s little bit of a lot of things including some museums and theater. If you want to get out of the city for a few days during your trip, San Francisco has lots of beautiful areas nearby (Santa Cruz and Monterey, wine country, etc).

Both are good cities for food and eating, though California is spoiled by having large food growing areas nearby for fresh produce (the central valley and other places).

I agree you could plan a fun week vacation in either place and it may just depend on your activities. Or maybe read a bit more about each (I'm sure libraries would have travel books) and see which area appeals to you on a gut level after reading a bit. I think you cannot go wrong with either.

Edited: 06 August 2013, 15:46
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,430 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco or New York

For budgetary reasons alone I'd choose San Francisco. You can get much better hotel rooms at a reasonable rate than in NYC.

San Anselmo...
Level Contributor
503 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco or New York

I have lived with some exception my entire life within about 20 miles of San Francisco and for 10 years in San Francisco.

I hate New York for a variety of reasons including the football (american) Giants. I have visited only once for the graduation of my daughter (not biological) from Columbia. I loved my visit. Walked daily till I could barely feel anything but the pain in my legs. I found a bunch of interesting places.

Manhattan has much to attract a traveler. I do not know what to suggest to you but if you can afford it I would suggest NYC.

I will say if you like physical beauty San Francisco and its environs has NYC beat, if it is people and activity than NYC is more entertaining.

For you locals I would never live in New York. This is a different question.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco or New York

Never understand why these questions get posted. Both are major tourist destinations with their own things going for them, they are both great destinations. Check out airfare, check out hotel prices, check your budget - book the winner. Voila!

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco or New York

The question is unanswerable, but I'll put in my perspective, given your situation. From Toronto, NYC is easily accessible. You can take bus or train there. So even after you start your career as worker bees, you can easily steal away for a weekend in NYC. Many of my friends who live in Toronto do so. On the other hand, it's not so easy to get from Toronto to SF. So my suggestion would be, while you have time to do so, visit SF.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,664 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco or New York

I'd probably go with SF for a handful of reasons some have been touched on before, but here's my short list:

1. Budget, while you'll presumably have higher travel costs getting to SF and SF isn't cheap, I do think your money will go farther in SF. At least one of these reasons is that there are some pretty good number of reasonable budget hotel options in SF, something I have yet to find these on a similar level in NYC.

2. I don't think there's any doubt NYC wins the "museum battle." But, it's not like SF lacks good museums; there just aren't as many as in NYC. If you were solely picking based on museums, I'd say do NYC, but you're not. You've easily got a couple of days worth of museums in SF and that's probably about all you'll have time for given everything else you'll want to do.

3. You mention the scenery aspect, I think SF wins hands down. While both are major urban centers and have coastlines, I think SF wins the "nature battle." Both for what's in the city proper (GG Park is larger than Central Park and that's just one element), but also for what's nearby and can be easily reached.

4. As touched on by others, ease (or really difficulty) of the trip. This trip has a "last fling" element to it and, given your location (and presuming you'll settle somewhere nearby?), I see it being much easier for you to be able to do NYC in the future. Thus, I would lean toward doing the city that is more difficult to get to, etc.

Anyway, don't think you can go wrong with either city, but those are the main reasons I favor SF.

hlo

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco or New York

I think it all comes down to the bed bugs in the hotels.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Francisco or New York

If you are going in April, I would choose San Francisco. After a winter in Canada, you probably want to be someplace a bit warmer. April is still a transition month for NYC. The weather may be great -- warm and springy, but it could also be wet.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Francisco or New York

On a budget with museums - I'd go with Washington D.C. There is so much to do there that is free. And they no doubt have "broadway" theater at least equivalent to San Francisco.

Monkey wrench thrown.