We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant rec's please

Pine Brook, NJ
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant rec's please

Hi. We'll be in San Francisco for 4 days before continuing on to Santa Cruz :) Can you recommend restaurants in the following neighborhoods (based on our itinerary): We are 2 adults, 2 kids (12 &15). Really love food and not too picky.

Embarcadero/Ferry Bldg (casual dinner ~ this is the day we land)

Breakfast near UnSq (quick not too heavy)

Chinatown

Fisherman's Wharf

North Beach or Union Square?

Thanks!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,061 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant rec's please

Look SF has thousands of restaurants so it may be better to do a google search read zagat reviews or yelp reviews and come back and we can help you narrowthem down. Hard for strangers to suggest one place when there are so many and opinions are subjective

Ferry Building has plenty of restaurants like marketbar and Gotts and oysters from hog island .

FW -- Well not the most fun place to eat for locals -- perhaps Codmothers' for fish and chips -- there are so many places in SF that most would suggest you skip FW

North beach-- take your pick of many Italian restaurants.

Have you read the top Questions for this answers ?

Romantic restaurants - where?

Where to dine before or after theatre?

Where do I go for Seafood in SF?

Where should we go for Chinese food? How about DimSum? (Updated June 2013)

Which hotels serve breakfast?

Restaurants serving Breakfast around Union Square (Added Feb 2013)

Edited: 07 August 2013, 16:16
Pine Brook, NJ
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant rec's please

I guess my question was too broad. We live 45 min out of NYC so it would be hard for me to pick my top fave's as well.

Chinatown- Hunan Homes, R&G Lounge, Great Eastern (they seem to be the popular/highest rated)

Fisherman's Wharf- I heard that it's not the best (too touristy) but we have tix for Alcatraz night tour. Is there something better in the area? I don't want to get stuck with snack bar food.

North Beach - Franchino's

Reservations necessary?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,061 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant rec's please

Chinatown Seafood would be R&G, DimSum for lunch Great Eastern and Hunan Home's is the spicy/sweet Hunan food - so take your pick

Have not been to Franchino's but the reviews look good. Perhaps someone else can comment

Is the Alcatraz dinner pre or post cruise -- early or late dinner. early you can go to many places South of Pier 33 from Peruvian to the Ferry building places and just walk down. Butterfly is right at Pier 33 and is Asian. check their menu out Later in the evening. North beach would be fine or somewhere close to your hotel. Pinecrest diner near union square is great at night

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,568 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant rec's please

The three you selected for Chinatown are all very good. Our fav is R&G Lounge, but they don't serve dim sum. Great Eastern may be your best bet for Chinatown dim sum.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,236 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant rec's please

For breakfast near Union Square that's not too heavy, there's Honey Honey Crepes, or La Boulange on Sutter, or Cafe de la Presse, or Dottie's True Blue (California-ized versions of American breakfast staples like pancakes). For regular versions of American breakfast: Sears, Pinecrest.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant rec's please

Sears is one of the classic pancake joints in all of America. Just off Union Square. You can get the minis and not eat too heavy.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,029 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant rec's please

I am assuming you have some experience eating in Flushing? Would be handy in Chinatown.

I will also point you to Golden Gate Bakery for their incredible dan tat (egg custards)... if they are open that is.

is-the-golden-gate-bakery-open-today.com/. If there is a huge line when you are walking by, go back a little later. I have found this strategy to be better than standing there for 20+ mins. Have not had them run out on me yet.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,705 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant rec's please

I'm another vote for R&G (it's my wife's favorite Chinese restaurant).

As for your pre/post Alcatraz dinner, I'd suggest skipping the FW area entirely. With a little planning and a short MUNI/cab ride you can easily do better. Just spending 10-15 minutes on MUNI or in a cab will open up much of the downtown area: North Beach, Embarcadero, Chinatown, Union Square, Nob Hill, etc.

That's my $.02,

hlo

9. Re: Restaurant rec's please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 06:19