We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

inexpensive hotel room needed September 22-24

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ny
Level Contributor
343 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
inexpensive hotel room needed September 22-24

My son is 23 years old and coming to San Francisco on September 22 and there seems to be no rooms due to an Oracle convention. Can you recommend a decent hotel...hopefully not more than $200/night for one person in a good location? Maybe a boutique hotel that most people don't know of.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: inexpensive hotel room needed September 22-24

Believe me, during Oracle World there are no secrets.

I see availability at the Cow Hollow Inn on Lombard near the Marina for $225. I imagine other places along Lombard would be similar.

You might try the Geary Parkway on Geary near Park Presidio. Or the Seal Rock Inn at the far west edge of town on Point Lobos Ave.

You can try the Oakland Marriott but I'd bet that's either very expensive or full as it's a very quick BART trip to downtown SF.

Central Montana
Level Contributor
205 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: inexpensive hotel room needed September 22-24

San Remo shows Sun. night for $139 with no availability for Mon. night. However, this was the same case recently for our daughter who called directly and was able to add on the 2nd night. Bathrooms down the hall but very safe and in excellent location.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,955 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: inexpensive hotel room needed September 22-24

If you can get the San Remo, I would jump on it. As Blackjack says, call to see of you can add the second night. That is, assuming your son is OK with a shared bath. It is a perfectly decent hotel, not fancy, in North Beach. My daughter arranged for a bicycle group to stay there and they were fine with it.

You can look at the list of budget hotels on the right of the screen under Top Questions, as well. I think you are in for a lot of research.

Edited: 09 August 2013, 00:13
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,748 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: inexpensive hotel room needed September 22-24

My son and his g-friend swear by Air B nB ! Lately they have been using that exclusively to book rooms all over the USA.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,404 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: inexpensive hotel room needed September 22-24

Might a hostel work for him? The one that TA locals seem to suggest most highly is the Fort Mason Hostel, which is near Fisherman's Wharf. It's in a beautiful setting as well as a good location. I think most of us, even if we haven't stayed there, would be OK sending our own kids or younger brothers or sisters there, which is not something we can say of every hostel in San Francisco.

http://www.sfhostels.org/fishermans-wharf

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,955 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: inexpensive hotel room needed September 22-24

Yes, the FW Hostel is excellent. I think they are going to be full, though. The word has spread about them.

The only other one I could suggest that I would be OK with would be the HI Hostel on the corner of Mason and O'Farrell.

Understand that hostels do not have the same amenities as hotels and he would undoubtedly want a private room, which some of them have.

We have season theater tickets in the city and stay overnight and our first date was Sept 25. I could not find ANYTHING on that date, so I changed our tickets to October 2nd and got a room at one of our favorite hotels.

I am a little leary of airbnb because so many of their listings are "share my apartment", and I am not sure the hosts are adequately vented. But Riff M's son and girlfriend seem to have good luck with them.

I feel the same way about "couchsurfing". Not comfortable with either one.

Rancho Cucamonga
Level Contributor
8,418 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: inexpensive hotel room needed September 22-24

Consider out of town, like Milbrae, Redwood City or Fremont. Much cheaper and BART is nearby

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: inexpensive hotel room needed September 22-24

Option: Willows Inn B&B.

http://www.willowssf.com/rooms-rates/

It's a shared bath European type of set-up, but rates are low and it's right on top of the Church Street metro station. It's across from a Safeway and lots of restaurants in the area. Good option to reach the Mission, Duboce Triangle, Hayes Valley, Haight and Castro.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,748 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: inexpensive hotel room needed September 22-24

Just to be clear- My son and his g-friend have been getting whole apts. on Air BnB not just a room in someone's apt. They only use listings that have been well reviewed. IF there are no reviews they don't even consider it. They have done this several times in San Francisco and the east bay.

They have also done it in Hawaii,Florida,Atlantic City , NJ. etc.

10. Re: inexpensive hotel room needed September 22-24

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 05:16