We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a stroller and car seats

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
289 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Buying a stroller and car seats

I thought we would buy 2 car seats and a stroller in SF before we head off on our road trip - is there anywhere in the city where we could do this? I know we could buy on-line and have them sent to the hotel ahead of our arrival, but it seems like an awful lot of stuff for the hotel to hold, especially with the size of car seat boxes.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,469 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying a stroller and car seats

There are stores in SF like citikids which sell strollers but most people purchase them from the big box stores like Toys R Us and Target . There is a Target in SF just south of Market at 4th street but I have not looked at whether they carry the stuff you are looking for - stopped looking for that a decade ago.

Someone with younger kids may be able to help. Perhaps you can have the car seats shipped and then just buy the umbrella strollers. Do you not just want to bring them with you on the flight. They get checked in just at the gate so they are easy to bring. I get it that carrying child seats would be a pain.

the major car companies rent them as well . Just give them a wipe before you put the kids in.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,418 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying a stroller and car seats

belo - Citikids is out of business. : ( Last day was 2 or 3 Sundays ago. It was sad to see it mostly empty the day before they closed. "Retirement" I remember when that was Lombardi's Sports.

OP - how long of a trip are you doing? Agree why not just gate check the one you have from home? Umbrella strollers are very easy to find. Just hit any Target/Wal-Mart or even in Chinatown. Or are you looking for the big foldable ones?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,469 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying a stroller and car seats

Dang ! Closed down ? Went there many years ago. This is when they have to compete with the box stores and provide great service. When have you seen service at a Toys or a Target ? Aha the good old days.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying a stroller and car seats

They can be quite expensive, how about renting for the trip?

http://www.littleluggage.com/

sf
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying a stroller and car seats

Hey Simbot I never knew thus stuff could be rented, but will definitely keep it in mind for any visitors with kids. My need for this stuff ended about 5 yrs ago. Seems like a smart alternative to buying, but agree its safer to bring your own car seat, and buy a cheap umbrella, unless you're travelling with an infant.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,418 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying a stroller and car seats

... and if you have an infant... wear the baby! I am often perplexed by our American ways of the ginormous strollers. Never saw one in NYC, Paris, and most of Europe. Honesty OP - it would be easier without the stroller in SF proper. But I understand you are doing a road trip later too so I can see that being useful.

The rental stuff is really a niche market. I saw this discuss on a regular basis over at the Hawaii forum.

Will wait for OP to give more details... Annie - how old are kids, where are you going on road trip and where are you picking up the car? Which type of stroller? Do you have carseats you can bring on flight?

Edited: 09 August 2013, 18:22
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying a stroller and car seats

Umrella strollers are very helpful as the hold bags as well as kids. Will add littleluggage to tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c183583/Califo…

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,733 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying a stroller and car seats

The downtown City Target had some strollers and car seats for sale, all in the $50-$150 range. The selection wasn't as large as what I've seen at the Tanforan Target.

Sydney
Level Contributor
289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying a stroller and car seats

Great advice everyone, thanks! The children are 6 and 2, although the 6yo is more the size of a 4yo, if that. We are starting our trip in SF and driving down to Anaheim to spend a few days at Disneyland, which is where I think we'll really need the stroller. (I think the time we'll need it in SF is when we're at a wedding in the Berkeley Botanical Gardens, so the toddler can nap during the reception). From there, driving to the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Phoenix, then flying to NY for a week, then Minneapolis for another 8 days. We are flying UA for all our flights and they now limit baggage to 1 piece of luggage per person - the last time we flew UA, we were allowed 2 each. So I'm not bringing our car seats from home because I'm hoping to come with 2 and leave with 4 (shopping!). And counting on being able to wheel the stroller to the gate for our flights. I thought buying seats would be cheaper then hiring them because we'll need them for 2.5 weeks on our road trip, and then again for our Minneapolis leg, and that way I know they're new and not previously involved in a crash. The pain of course is then flying them to NY where we won't need them so we may well just rent them where we need them. Might head to Target to pick up a stroller, and maybe car seats when we arrive.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
101 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying a stroller and car seats

Renting car seats is very pricey compared to buying an inexpensive seat. You can pick up inexpensive seats at Walmart or target for a fraction of the cost of renting.