We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Advice- Reno to Mammoth lakes through Yosemite to SFO

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
204 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Advice- Reno to Mammoth lakes through Yosemite to SFO

Hi

We are Canadians planning a fall journey to Yosemite- we have decided we will fly into Reno- do the drive down through by Juno lake etc- spend 1 night in Mammoth Lakes before beginning a few days travelling through the park. Not staying directly in the park we have a room booked the 3rd night in Oakhurst- figured we'd go South/West and then the next night in Sonora- North Entrance- we have 1 spare night before we're booked in SFO on the 7th to fly out the morning of the 8th- should I spend another night in the parks area? Is my itinerary too broke up? What should/shouldn't I see especially in the fall? We aren't huge hikeers- would do a few couple mile moderate hikes but not 1/2 day or full day journeys hiking....Husband has a special interest in forestry so the trees are a big thing for him- that being said would we be better to stay in Mariposa then Oakhurst or Sonora? Or could we spend a whole day discovering the sequias? I'd appreciate any input into suggested stops or changes in our route! Muchly appreciated!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,659 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Advice- Reno to Mammoth lakes through Yosemite to SFO

I am in the area right now! I am a little confused by your itinerary. Can you please lay it out in a list form? How many days and nigts do you have?

If you are coming mid Sept and your hubs in into forestry, definitely look to see if the leaves are falling or changing colors yet. The Eastern Sierras and the Sonora Pass areas should have plenty of colors. There are Aspen groves scattered throughout the Sierras. You can see the big trees - meaning Sequoias right? - in various places and yes you can spend a whole day exploring them. Are you going to the coast as well to see the coastal redwoods? Another place to see is the Calevaras Big Trees http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=551 You can stay in this area in Murphys or Angels Camp.

Edited: 09 August 2013, 17:56
Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Advice- Reno to Mammoth lakes through Yosemite to SFO

Here's my detailed itinerary-

Oct 2- arrive Reno & overnight

Oct 3- drive through to Mammoth Lakes for night- various- (suggested??) stops ?? Things to see along way?

Oct 4- Into park through Tiaga Pass - our reservations are in Oakhurst for this night- where/what direction should we travel?

Oct 5- From Oakhurst into park- Sequia trees ?? this night is booked in Sonora

Oct 6- No reservation made- trying to see if I've made a good itinerary and where I should change things

Oct 7- reservation in SFO- fly out Oct 8 at 11 AM....

We are open to change- I've just tentatively made reservations everything can be changed I just would like suggestions- where I should stay to prioritize park visits. We are NOT campers so won't stay at the camps in the park- nor is staying at a Lodge in the park in the budget-any and all advice is APPRECIATED!

Thanks!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,659 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Advice- Reno to Mammoth lakes through Yosemite to SFO

I see you have multiple threads going with the same question. I think this is best either in the CA forum or Yosemite forum not SF. Will respond there. Post your itinerary in your other threads too.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Advice- Reno to Mammoth lakes through Yosemite to SFO

you will be in the eastern Sierras at the peak of aspen leaf season, and you have several great easy opportunity to see them on the way down from Reno or near Mammoth. The best leaf displays are around lakes that are a little hard to get to, but you can see great displays at Lundy lake off 395 and just south of Mammoth at Convict Lake. On the way to mammoth take the June Lake loop. Won't even have to get out of your car. The orange and yellow leaves set against the deep blue alpine lakes and the silver granite peaks are one of the prettiest spectacles in this state that's full of pretty spectacles. We go up every year to hike and look.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Advice- Reno to Mammoth lakes through Yosemite to SFO

A lot of driving, a fair amount of it retracing roads you've already driven (e.g., 1) from Mammoth back up 395 to Tioga Pass; 2) driving from Mammoth into, and out of, Yosemite, to Oakhurst, then back into Yosemite to get to Sonora-- back to Yosemite Valley, or just back as far as the redwoods and then to Sonora via Hwy. 49?).

From Reno to Mammoth, you could stop at Bodie State Park (ghost town), and Mono Lake (see the tufa towers). Do you have a specific interest in Mammoth? Lots to see arund there, but you won't have much time, so why go for such a short stop when there's so much else to see? It's not a lot of extra distance to go as far as south as Mammoth, but I don't know how much you plan on seeing there. If you could stay the first night in Yosemite Valley rather than Mammoth, I'd certainly go for that.

I'd personally suggest spending more time in and near Yosemite. Can you not afford to stay inside the park, either in Yosemite Valley or at Wawona? October isn't usually very crowded.

Why the Fall colors you see won't have the variety of colors you'd see in New England, the golds of Aspen are nice.

Edited: 09 August 2013, 21:02
6. Re: Trip Advice- Reno to Mammoth lakes through Yosemite to SFO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 05:18