We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indecisive! Hotel Griffon or Argonaut?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charleston, sc
Level Contributor
108 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Indecisive! Hotel Griffon or Argonaut?

I have narrowed my hotel decision down to Hotel Griffon or the Argonaut. I am traveling with my nine year old daughter and we want to stay in the heart of the Fisherman's Wharf area. I am not overly familiar with San Fran. The Argonaut is much more expensive and we cannot get a room with a view (all booked), however via maps looks to be in an awesome location.

The Hotel Griffon we can get a great room with a few of the bay. However, I cannot tell by looking on a map if this is on the "outskirts" of the Fisherman Wharf area.

Which one?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indecisive! Hotel Griffon or Argonaut?

The Griffon is *not* Fisherman's Wharf (and I would be surprised if they advertised that the were). The area is termed "The Embarcadero" and it's close to the Ferry Building Market but it about a mile to Pier 39 and 2 miles to the west edge of Fisherman's Wharf.

If you're desire is to be at the Wharf, then pick the Argonaut (it is by far the best option at the Wharf). If the price is a bit steep, check the Tuscan Inn at the Wharf. Next best thing to the Argonaut. The choices go downhill quickly after that.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indecisive! Hotel Griffon or Argonaut?

If you read the TOP questions on the right, you will see the difference between the Embarcadero area where the Griffon is and yes it is not the FW area -- Thank God and the Fisherman's wharf area.

By far the Argonaut is the place to be with kids in the FW area. I would do that over the Griffon. For a couple without kids, Most would recommend the Embarcadero or Union Square

Edit: What Sal said. I have the 49ers Loss Crown. Sigh. The Giants and the Niners now!!!. Turnovers ? so what if it was an exhibition game

Edited: 09 August 2013, 18:01
3. Re: Indecisive! Hotel Griffon or Argonaut?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 05:18