We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'The Room' locations, Golden Gate Park, Lands End - advice?

Melbourne, Australia
10 posts
Save Topic
'The Room' locations, Golden Gate Park, Lands End - advice?

Hello all,

My fiance and I are big fans of 'The Room', which, if you're not familiar with it, is a mind-blowingly bad movie set in SF. We'll be visiting SF in early September and would like to visit a few of the movie's locations, per this map:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

We're mostly interested in the Golden Gate Park location and the two near the Palace of Fine Arts, and I'm thinking we could fit these in on a Sunday (Sep 8, if that matters) while sightseeing in the GGP and Lands' End areas, finishing near Fisherman's Wharf. Just hoping for some advice on how realistic this plan is, and any tips or possible issues we might not be aware of.

We'll be staying near Union Square, and our idea would be to take a 'C' shaped route, beginning with Golden Gate Park, spending some time exploring there (not just the area marked on the map), then heading north to Lands' End, then through the Presidio (though happy to mostly bypass this unless there is anything particularly recommended here) to the Palace of Fine Arts (which is also featured in the movie, in some of its 15,000 unnecessary establishing shots of SF) and the two locations near there. We are booked on the Alcatraz night tour at 5:55.

I figure we could eat lunch in the Richmond or Lands' End areas, a quick dinner in FW before visiting Alcatraz, and possibly something more substantial on our way back to Union Square afterwards.

So, any ideas as to the best way of getting around to complete this route? And is it realistic to complete in time for our Alcatraz tour, without being too rushed? We don't mind an early start.

I expect the best plan will include a combination of public transport and walking. We'll have MUNI passports. However, we'd also be interested in hiring bikes if there is any way it makes sense to do so. We're happy to walk about 10-15 miles or so in a day, though I know SF's hills will make it seem like more than that!

A bit about us: we are late 20s/early 30s, from Australia, fit and active. This is part of a 6 week trip around the western US and Canada, which TA has been most amazing in indirectly helping us plan. We're interested in getting a variety of experiences from this SF trip, most particularly fantastic scenery, seeing different parts of SF outside of Union Square/Fisherman's Wharf, and eating/drinking delicious things.

Sorry for the long rambling question! Hope it all makes sense. Please let me know if anything needs clarification.

Thanks!

Kristi

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
California
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'The Room' locations, Golden Gate Park, Lands End - advice?

The Disney Store on your map is long gone. I think there's one on Stockton near Market but that area is nothing but construction these days as there is work on the central subway.

The hospital on Guerrero? St. Luke's? Ick, ick and more ick. Worst hospital in town and a cr@ppy part of it as well.

So that boots two off your list.

There are a lot of meadows in GG Park where one might throw a football, from your map it appears to be Speedway Meadow.

You might consider renting bikes in GG Park and then out to Ocean Beach, through the Presidio and out to the Palace of Fine Arts and the foot of Lyon Street (jogging steps) then back to Fisherman's Wharf to turn the bikes back in. In fact, I think that's the best way to see these spots and a lot more as well.

Mentioned in this post
Stockton
Stockton
California
Guerrero
Guerrero
Pacific Coast, Mexico
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'The Room' locations, Golden Gate Park, Lands End - advice?

Curious about the Flower Shop as that's near where I live. The address given for the flower shop is a house. So I'd question the authenticity of the map.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 'The Room' locations, Golden Gate Park, Lands End - advice?

The flower shop was formerly this closed restaurant: yelp.com/biz/tazza-d-amore-san-francisco-2 You can see the building clearly matches at :01 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOdjtiOMGbA . HI DOGGY!

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,307 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'The Room' locations, Golden Gate Park, Lands End - advice?

I have never heard of 'The Room'. Since you show some interest in movies you might be interested in this tour. http://www.sanfranciscomovietours.com/

You know, there have been a lot of good movies filmed in San Francisco too. You may as well tour some sites from movies people want to watch.

Melbourne, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 'The Room' locations, Golden Gate Park, Lands End - advice?

Thanks all for the advice. I think we will end up hiring bikes as suggested by Ramblin Sal.

sfo310tokyo, you're my favourite commenter! :)

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
949 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 'The Room' locations, Golden Gate Park, Lands End - advice?

I agree with the other repliers to your itinerary (although I do recommend tripomatic.com waaaay over goggle mapz).

Now, where can I find out about this terrible movie? I'm seriously interested...imdb.com does not seem to know about it...OP?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,540 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 'The Room' locations, Golden Gate Park, Lands End - advice?

real - here it is in imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368226/, and I know... wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Room_(film)

So... it is one of those "it's so bad it's good" kind of cultish film it seems.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Entertainment Weekly has called The Room "the Citizen Kane of bad movies"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Random daily factoid learned on TA - accomplished. :p

Edited: 13 August 2013, 20:42
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,206 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 'The Room' locations, Golden Gate Park, Lands End - advice?

Are you here on September 14th? If so, you can see your favorite movie at midnight, in a classic old movie theater on Fillmore...

landmarktheatres.com/Market/SanFrancisco/San…

(scroll down to the bottom of that page)

Mentioned in this post
Fillmore
Fillmore
California
San Frantastic
Level Contributor
949 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 'The Room' locations, Golden Gate Park, Lands End - advice?

I see. Well, that *does* sound like a terrible movie! But it also explains why I see a movie called "The Room" (of which I had not ever heard until today) playing late night hours at this fabulous movie theater on Fillmore St. : landmarktheatres.com/Market/…ClayTheatre.htm (where "Rocky Horror" is a regular feature...)

With any luck, it will be playing when you are here, and you can complete your film tour with popcorn at a San Francisco landmark historic in its own right. At the very least, you might wander around Fillmore St. (a fun stroll) and see if they have a poster they will give/sell you.) Good luck!

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
949 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 'The Room' locations, Golden Gate Park, Lands End - advice?

Props to jrcDublin for beating me to the best advice. I actually think *I* might go check out this "Citizen Kane of bad movies". I mean, how bad can it be...? :-)