We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bridge Walk - weekend or Weekday?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
531 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Bridge Walk - weekend or Weekday?

Are weekends too crowded to do this or is it better on a weekday (more peaceful experience!)?

Thanks

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,061 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bridge Walk - weekend or Weekday?

During summer, I'm not sure it makes a difference. I drove over the bridge today and the sidewalk was crowded but not packed or unmoveable. Earlier in the day would be better than later. (You're also walking next to a major freeway, so even without crowds, it's not terribly peaceful, in my opinion.)

Off-season, yes, midweek would be less crowded.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bridge Walk - weekend or Weekday?

Because of the availability of the 76X-Marin Headlands bus which crosses the bridge, I would recommend doing this on a weekend. If you don't want crowds, go early.

Pasted below is what I just typed on another thread:

The 76X-Marin Headlands runs only on weekends so I would suggest doing your bridge walk on Sunday to take advantage of this bus. It goes over the bridge (and up into the headlands if you'd like to take in Point Bonita Lighthouse or other sights in the Headlands) so you could take it to the north side and walk back across to the south side. The downside to taking it very far into the Headlands is that it only runs once an hour so you have to be careful about the schedule if you want to take it back.

Here's a suggestion: take the 76X to Conzelman and Kirby Cove. Walk down the hill (maybe a mile) to Kirby Cove which is a lovely spot on the water with an awesome view of the bridge. Not many people (there are 4 campgrounds down there) because of the walk and a lot of people don't know it's there. (There is a gate on the road at the top of the hill but no prohibition on pedestrians.) Then walk back up and you're close to the bridge to walk across. There is a catwalk under the bridge to get to the east side which is the pedestrian side. Don't walk on the west side, that's bicycles only.

parksconservancy.org/visit/…kirby-cove.html (Don't be put off my the description of the trail as "steep" -- it's a hill but on SF standards it's not "steep.")

3. Re: Bridge Walk - weekend or Weekday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 06:23