We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tar & Feather me.....

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,546 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Tar & Feather me.....

Well, I decided at the last minute (last night) to go to SF tomorrow. Wasn't quite sure if I was going to be able to but I am....

Anyways, contrary to my best judgement and all the posts explaining the advantages of staying in the city and the disadvantages of not....I am staying in San Mateo.

I am expecting the tar & feathering but figure that I can take the bullet for everyone and report back any positives that I come across, if any.

Anyone wanna meet for a beer? I'll be at the Cheiftain on 5th St Fri night....

Dr. Z

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,730 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tar & Feather me.....

We advise first-time visitors and people with limited time in San Francisco to stay here and not in the 'burbs. You're a California resident and you've been to San Francisco a lot, so the advice doesn't necessarily apply to you.

It's like me telling people to stay in Death Valley to have the most authentic experience. I spend weeks at a time in Death Valley because I sometimes work there. If I go for a little down time and recreation, I might stay in Beatty NV, and that's OK. But i'm still gonna tell the folks coming from New York or Germany to stay in the park.

Have a fun weekend. :^)

sf
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tar & Feather me.....

No Tar & Feathers unless you like it!!

Are you staying in the city of San Mateo or County? Either way that's a long way to go for a beer

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,546 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tar & Feather me.....

Within the city limits.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,605 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tar & Feather me.....

I agree with the above (edit: Frisco Roadrunner's comments) and will note that you're fully aware of what you're getting into with this choice. You don't have some pipe dream that you'll be saving big bucks on your hotel at no tangible or intangible cost.

I also think it would be *great* if you give some kind of report about the costs associated with being out of town (BART fares, parking, etc), how long it takes you to get into SF, and similar intangibles, etc. Then we could point to at least one concrete example of the "costs" of the "savings" from staying (typically) near the airport.

As for the beer, I'd love to meet you there; does that mean you'll pick up my airfare? ;-)

hlo

Edited: 14 August 2013, 22:10
sf
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tar & Feather me.....

Well at least you know your way around, and Caltrain or BART in Milbrae is obviously an easy way to get back /forth. I'd meet at the Chieftan, if I wasn't heading down to where you're staying Friday night for my daughters sports tryouts.

Maybe next time.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,546 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tar & Feather me.....

With the hotel savings maybe I can get you an Amtrak ticket..... :)

For sure I'd like to follow this up with some comments about pros/cons of staying outside the city as there really haven't been any visitors coming back with unbiased reviews.....

I'm driving there and won't leave Thousand Oaks until 2 or 3 pm.........

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,605 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tar & Feather me.....

Here's an idea (or did it already happen?), start "the definitive staying outside the city" thread?

hlo

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tar & Feather me.....

Oh come now, guys. I wanted to see the T&F part.

sf
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tar & Feather me.....

Wait till the Folsom Street Fair, I'm sure they'll have a booth for T&F.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,546 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tar & Feather me.....

news.google.com/newspapers…

...article on the left side.....