We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thank You ...

Halifax
9 posts
Save Topic
Thank You ...

Just wanted to say "Thank You" to the people of this Forum for all your help. My family and I just returned home after having spent 10 days in your beautiful city. We loved (almost) everything about it. We stayed at the Cornell Hotel de France (nice hotel and awesome staff) and we did many of the main attractions such as Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, etc ... Everything was just wonderful. Yes, of course, we also rode the Cable Car, twice, and my daughter loved it. She got to stand on the outside step which she thought was the coolest thing in the world.

My only 'minor' complaint has to do with the BART ticketing system/policy. At the SF airport, I paid $9 for a BART ticket for my daughter, which is supposed to have a $24 value. When we arrived at the Powell station, her ticket was rejected because it got demagnetized somehow. Although, my wife's ticket and mine were okay. Long story short, we ended up having to pay another $3.25 to have her ticket re-magnetized. At the end of our trip, my daughter tried to enter the BART station at Powell. Once again, her ticket was rejected. You guessed it, it was demagnetized. So, we had to pay another $3.25 to get it working again. At the end of the day, her return trip on the BART costed ($9+$3.25+$3.25) a total of $15.50, which is almost as much as what I paid for my 2 tickets.

Like I said, a minor complaint. For all you future travellers who plan on using the BART, please be careful where and how you store your tickets. :-)

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Thank You ...

Does anyone know about BART tickets getting de-magnetized? How can it be avoided?

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thank You ...

Its probably like those hotel card keys, don't put it next to your cell phone.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thank You ...

Sorry to hear about the tix and thanks for reporting it as it helps others. Happened to me many moons ago until i converted to Clipper Card.

It is a common problem. So much so there's local news feature on it http://youtu.be/bGFbL_b96eg

Maybe Belo can add this to the TQ: do not put tickets and phones in the same pocket?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thank You ...

Also some purses have magnetic closures that help keep a flap closed. Or pocketbooks with magnetic clasps. Those items will also demagnetize Bart tickets.

I've never had problems with demagnetized Bart tickets and used paper tickets for years. Keeping the ticket in my wallet did the trick for me, though I always kept my wallet and mobile phone in separate pockets.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,730 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thank You ...

We're glad you enjoyed your trip! And we're sorry about the BART ticket.

I have had BART tickets get demagnetized, and it didn't cost anything to have a station agent remagnetize it, but I haven't had it happen recently. Is this fee something new?

6. Re: Thank You ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 05:18