We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco in September

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scottsboro, Alabama
6 posts
Save Topic
San Francisco in September

We are going to San Francisco next month, and I was wondering what to pack. Do I need a winter coat? Should I pack shorts? I'm from Florida, and used to it being warm most of the time.

Thank you!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco in September

September is probably our nicest weather month but neither shorts nor winter coats are necessary. Of course, it's always cooler along the waterfront or out on the water. And it cools in the evening.

The average high in Sept is 70, the low 55. But, as above, it varies a lot about town.

Bring layers. Sweater, perhaps a light wind break. And comfortable walking shoes.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,107 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco in September

Everyone has a different level of tolerance to heat and cold so only you can decide what you need to pack - winter coat would not be what most would suggest in September. Most would not suggest shorts for SF.

The days will be in the high 60s to low seventies in the downtown area and cooler near the Ocean and Bay. Nights will be in the mid 50s. As you go closer to the Ocean and go say on a Ferry to Sausalito it can get windy and cold.

wunderground.com/cgi-bin/… can help you plan your SF.

The advise we give visitors is to dress in layers and to were good walking shoes

Sal -- It is ok to wear a crown. I can be more proud that my lovely Giants who have just given up.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 00:26
san mateo CA
Level Contributor
434 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco in September

RamblinSal's advice is correct. I would reinforce the no shorts idea. You may wake to a beautiful warm even hot day and put on those shorts and half way to Sausalito realize that you are cold and then notice that the fog is spilling over the hill into town and decide you have made a mistake.

I many times had to suppress laughter when I was at a windy high point (the one that sticks out is Hyde at Lombard) and there was some tourist shivering in their shorts and tee shirt which were fine earlier but now with the sun gone and a breeze off the ocean they were very cold.

I lived in San Francisco proper for about 10 years. I cannot remember ever wearing shorts but I must have at some time. I know without equivocation that I never wore shorts in San Francisco when I was going to be away from a possible change all day, even on the hottest days.

Remove any temptation, leave the shorts in Florida.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco in September

No skirts or dresses to go with the windy days. And I too can't recall ever wearing a pair of shorts in SF. I do remember sweaters and scarfs in the summer.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco in September

I saw a couple at AT&T Park wearing shorts last month... they didn't make it through the 4th inning... neither did Matt Cain.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,107 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco in September

Not funny tripjunky Oh well it is funny but sad :-(

12-1 today -- even sadder

who has 2 world championships in the past 3 years !!!

Edited: 22 August 2013, 02:28
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,794 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco in September

I was at a concert at the open air America Cup Pavilion and saw people (multiple) wearing T shirts and shorts. It must have been in the low 40's, yet they don't look cold.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco in September

They didn't look cold because they were Smurfs. Normal people don't wear t-shirts and shorts in 40F.

Scottsboro, Alabama
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: San Francisco in September

Okay, no shorts. I guess just a light coat and sweaters then? I bought a wool coat, I guess I'll return it. Thanks for your responses!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Francisco in September

I would maybe opt for a light fleece instead of the wool coat. We are coming the same time and are used to cold weather, but I plan on bringing several cardigan sweaters, jeans and a light fleece. No sandals. I haven't been in 20 plus years but I DO remember wearing shorts when we were there - and a coat. :)