We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car for Driving to Monterey

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rental Car for Driving to Monterey

After spending 3 days in SF near Union Square, my wife and I wish to rent a car and drive to Carmel, Big Sur and Monterey. We then will head back and go to Napa for a couple of days before heading back to the airport to fly home. How and where should we rent a car? We are staying near Union Square for the first 3 days. Is a convertible realistic for mid-late Oct?

Seems perfect for driving down the 17 mile scenic hwy?

Appreciate the help!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,430 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car for Driving to Monterey

It could be as october generally is balmy weather. The coast may or may not be cool. 17 mile drive -- err perhaps you may want to spend time and pay zero and drive Highway 1 from SF to Big Sur Village and see all the sights enroute which are much better than the 17 mile drive which is nice in a few parts but mainly shows you golf courses and house for the most part.

>>>How and where should we rent a car?

Not sure I get that. As in any major city there are car rental companies around the area. Union Sq has them all Hertz, budget, avis, alamo, enterprise -- sign up with a frequent renter program to skip lines which can delay your pickup in some locations

If your bags fit in the trunk and you have a roof that closes, sure you can rent a car. Our temps during the night in CA are in the 50s along the coast and in SF.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 02:11
Atlanta
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car for Driving to Monterey

Really appreciate the input and will most likely not do the 17 mile drive per your suggestion.

Thanks very much.

California
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car for Driving to Monterey

The main road out of Monterey (north on Ocean View Drive) toward Pacific Grove has magnificent views of the ocean. It's free and much more beautiful than the 17 Mile Drive. You will pass the entrance but continue on and back to the highway north to Carmel.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,085 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car for Driving to Monterey

I would get a convertible if your luggage will fit in the trunk. That's the biggest limiting factor. The scenery here is great and it is even better in a convertible. Weather in October is generally pretty good - may be warm or cool, but it is generally dry. We sometimes have a few days with some rain in October, but it doesn't generally get rainy until November. Just be prepared to wear a jacket in the car - maybe even turn on the heater :-)

I think sometimes people think that 17 Mile Drive and Hwy 1 through Big Sur are the same, and that is where the confusion comes in. But as mentioned above, 17 Mile Drive is a toll road through a private neighborhood - great coastline and some magnificent golf courses if you are into that - this makes it a must-see for some. For others (me included), a drive down Hwy 1 through Big Sur is much preferable.

5. Re: Rental Car for Driving to Monterey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 06:21