We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in DT SF

Denver, Colorado...
6 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in DT SF

Hi all, my fiance and I will be in town for minimum one night (Sept 28th-29th) and I want to know what's the best part of town to stay in? Don't mind spending $250 or less, but want to get the city culture as much as we can, and see as much of the city in a 36 hour period as possible. We will have a car, but as with any city I'm not sure we need to use it.

Thanks!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
15,399 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in DT SF

Take a gander at the Top Questions on the right ---------->>> (not viewable on a mobile device) for the one titled: Hotels: Where to Stay When Visiting San Francisco (NEW July 2013) . It will give you all the info you want. For the full "city culture" experience, I'd suggest Union Square. Is there any way you can ditch the car? If not, just be aware hotel parking will be around $50/night.

Also, if you can give us more info about the style of hotel you want (modern, traditional, small, large, etc.) and the amenities you need, we can make specific recommendations.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in DT SF

With the Bay Bridge closure next week, traffic between SanMateo Bridge and SF might be a mess.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in DT SF

I am not sure what either bridge has to do with OPs question. We do not know that they plan to use either bridge since we don't know where they are coming from.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in DT SF

Prices are high this summer. Usually $250 will get you a very nice room but this year it will take some research on your part. Remember there is a 15% hotel tax in SF so you're looking for a rate of around $220. You can self park for around $35 a day.

Union Square and the Financial District / Embarcadero are good locations. Stay away from Civic Center for the most part. Find some hotels that you think fit your needs then post back for opinions specific properties. There are good budget hotels along Lombard that have free parking

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in DT SF

I agree with tripjunky about the high prices. I did a search on a general hotel booking web site for your dates and there were a few ok things for your target budget, but not too many and some weren't that central. It's a somewhat expensive time of year, apparently.

If you have trouble getting things in your budget, perhaps look into budget hotels and there is a list of many somewhere from the top questions.

It also may be a good idea to book sooner rather than later.

Good luck.

Edited: 23 August 2013, 14:45
Denver, Colorado...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in DT SF

Thanks for the input everyone. After reading a couple forums I decided on Union/ Financial area, we are staying at the Palace hotel. Luckily I have SW points so redeemed for a free hotel night, and the entire one way car rental was "free" too (so it doesn't matter if we ditch or not.)

Not plugging SW here, but if you don't have an airline rewards card you're missing out! So far on this trip I think I've redeemed about $1,800 worth of free stuff... It's quite amazing.

Anyhow, thanks again for taking the time to respond ~ cheers

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,099 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in DT SF

Keep in mind the Palace Hotel's parking service is $59, not including tip. If you use

http://sanfrancisco.bestparking.com/

you may be able to find a cheaper rate relatively close.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in DT SF

There's a great parking garage right behind the Palace Hotel called Hearst parking. It is located at Stevenson and Third, a half block south of Market Street.

It cost $24 for 24 hours and it's open from 6 a.m. to midnight.

Good find on the Palace Hotel. I love that hotel, it's beautiful.

9. Re: Where to stay in DT SF

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 06:22