We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAS to SFO or Oakland international Airport, will transporta

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
283 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
LAS to SFO or Oakland international Airport, will transporta

Hello, trying to book a quick girlfriends trip to San Francisco. We will be a party of 2.

If we decide to fly into Oakland to save a few $$ on southwest flight will we just end up spending more on ground transportation getting to & from the city.

We will arrive about mid morning Friday & Flt on Monday about 6:00 pm.

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,366 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAS to SFO or Oakland international Airport, will transporta

Nope you can take BART from OAK to SF and then either walk to your hotel or take a cab

Getting to SF by Air & Train. SF Public Transit: MUNI and BART (Updated July 2013)

Since you are NOT new to TA, have you thought about reading the TQs before posting. This is a FAQ and the info is above. on a cell, check the second post on this forum for the same links. You can read about the bus to O.co station and then take bart to SF

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAS to SFO or Oakland international Airport, will transporta

BART has good info on airport connections here: http://www.bart.gov/guide/airport/index.aspx

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAS to SFO or Oakland international Airport, will transporta

No, BART into the city from either SFO or OAK are equally convenient. The only difference is that from OAK you will have to take a shuttle bus from the airport to the BART station ($3.00 exact change).

Edited: 23 August 2013, 17:13
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LAS to SFO or Oakland international Airport, will transporta

Ironically, it's actually cheaper for ground transport from OAK to SF via BART:

- $6.85 (AirBART+BART) or $5.95 (bus+BART -- not recommended) from OAK

- $8.25 BART from SFO

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LAS to SFO or Oakland international Airport, will transporta

Actually, it's cheaper to get to San Francisco proper from OAK than it is SFO. Also, it's a couple minutes faster.

As for post #4, I completely disagree. Unlike AirBART, the AC Transit bus (Route 73) is substantially less crowded and cheaper, and it's just as quick. The only difference is AirBART is every 10 minutes while the regular bus is every 15. You'll probably end up on AirBART anyway, but don't knock the AC Transit option for no good reason.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,366 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LAS to SFO or Oakland international Airport, will transporta

>>>Ironically, it's actually cheaper for ground transport from OAK to SF via BART: is what Al Tippet says

Are you disagreeing with that or just repeating what he said Davdaven ?

So you don't actually disagree with all of Post #4 right ?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LAS to SFO or Oakland international Airport, will transporta

Another benefit of using Oakland (OAK) instead of SFO is that OAK has a better percentage of on-time arrivals, as SFO can get restricted or closed due to fog and other weather issues.

I personally would look at both airports, look at the Airlines I prefer and the price being offered for the specific flights and dates of my visit, and pick the one option that is the best deal.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,366 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LAS to SFO or Oakland international Airport, will transporta

SFO - Closed due to weather ? really darkbeer ? Just making things up in the SF forum or do you have facts? The last closure of SFO was due to an Airline accident but the airport does have delays but not closures. to say that is just providing misinformation to visitors.

To the OP or to other visitors -- Yes at times due to cloud cover there can be delays at SFO especially for short haul flights but most long haul or international flights are not delayed due to weather. they get priority for landing in most cases

Edited: 23 August 2013, 19:35
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LAS to SFO or Oakland international Airport, will transporta

I've lived here over 30 years and I can not recall SFO ever being "closed" due to weather.

At certain times of the year delays can occur as fog limits visibility. Heavy rain can cause delays as well. Usually these are on arrival rather than departure (although departures get backed up because the aircraft for the flight hasn't landed yet).

I don't think there have been any/many delay situations this summer.

LA
Level Contributor
10,044 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: LAS to SFO or Oakland international Airport, will transporta

If you are planning this trip for the Labor Day weekend, be aware that because of Bay Bridge closures, Bart may be especially busy:

bart.gov/news/articles/2013/news20130815.aspx